IR Remote not working when watching video

Sam,
This is really frustrating that this has been unresolved for over a year. My video performance is poor when MPEG2 acceleration turned off and remote performance is poor when MPEG2 acceleration is turned on.

Itā€™s still on the list ā€“ but itā€™s a lower priority as not many users are using IR remotes at the moment.

Sam

I know that my particular use is unique because I use multiple IR remotes that I want to decode separately, so I canā€™t use eventlircd. As such, using USB receivers is not an option (unless there is some way to route that to lircd).

1 Like

Understood.

Iā€™m not exactly sure what your use case is here but the FLIRC USB IR receiver I mentioned earlier in this thread would work with more then one IR remote. When you program it you just send it an IR signal and tell it what keyboard key to assign that to and that is what happens when you plug it into your media player. It really doesnā€™t care what remote any given input is coming from and if you want to get really unique with your keyboard commands it supports sending modifier keys. You should be able to get anywhere you want to be with that and and maybe a bit of Kodi keymapping (if your wanting to deviate from Kodi stock mappings) without LIRC.

darwindesign: I am not sure that what you are describing fits my situation. Simply put, I have two remotes with different codes. Each has a Play button. I want the Play button on one of them to have a different action than the Play button on the other. If the signals are routed through eventlircd, the two buttons are translated to the SAME action.

With lircd, I can retain the source information and have separate actions. In a different thread, DBMandrake said that USB receivers are not routed through lircd:

Using lircd, my USB remote shows up in mode2, but does not show up using irw. I am not sure how to get past this.

When you program it on a PC you can set one remote to send ā€œpā€ and the other to something like ā€œalt+pā€ and then make a keymap for Kodi to assign a kodi action for <p mod="alt">. This gets you to the same place you were before but you also gain some responsiveness and the ability to do long-press actions (holding down a button can perform a different action than a regular short press).

At one point, I did go down the route of alternate names, but the obscure naming didnā€™t appeal to me. I may have to go back down that rabbit hole if this doesnā€™t get fixed. Or maybe switch over to Raspberries, since I think that lircd still works on those.

I did figure out how to get the USB receiver to work with lircd, but it ignores the first button press. Now that I went through that again, I remember being there before. I wish I had a better memory.

Anyway, I am stuck with what I have and can only hope that it gets fixed one day.

We will definitely get it fixed.

Sam

Hi @sam_nazarko,

I hate to be ā€œthat guyā€ but are there any updates on this please? - it has been 2 years!? :frowning:

I see the Vero V has IR - will this still be a problem on the Vero V?

Thanks,
Jon.

Not at all.

Still being worked on. Hopefully we will have some improvements in a new kernel.

Sam

Iā€™m suffering this exact same problem after finally updating (canā€™t recall just how ancient a version I was on before) to 20.2.0 (Git 20240815-OSMC). Both my trusty old Raspberry Pi devices are working flawlessly, but the Ir on the Vero 4K becomes unresponsive when itā€™s in video playback mode. When itā€™s not playing video, the Ir works perfectly. Iā€™m kind of stuck with Ir as (aside from wanting to use a single remote control for the Vero and Monitor) I never managed to get to the bottom of the problem where my official remote would chew through a fresh battery every day.

@sam_nazarko I appreciate that a ā€œme tooā€ post isnā€™t particularly helpful, but do please let me know if you want a volunteer tester when there is something to try.

Cheers,

Fergus.

We are still working on this. The next kernel (5.15) has changes to how video IRQs are handled and we will check from there.

Sam

1 Like