Is it possible to disable HDR output? Completely stop playing anything in HDR

Hi, I just bought a Vero 4K+ and I love it so far. It replaced an Intel NUC that was running Windows and becoming too much of a headache to maintain. The Vero works perfectly out of the box.

Now for my question. I want to disable HDR. The reason I don’t like HDR is it wrecks my eyes in a dark room, that’s it. No philosophical debate to be had, no issues of quality, etc. It works as it should, but I simply cannot stand it. Sorry to all the people who fight to get HDR even working properly, when I just want to turn it off :slight_smile:

I have an LG OLED (C8) and disabling it on the TV itself is not an option because when disabling HDR by turning off ultra deep color (which is the only way to disable HDR on an LG TV), it just turns itself on again when it detects an HDR source. I honestly have no idea why they even have the option to turn off and on ultra deep color since it’s pointless.

I’ve read a bunch of threads on here, and most refer to “disable HDR autoswitching” when looking for info on this topic. I’m not sure how to do that, and I’m not even sure it’s the right thing to do. It seems to come up most frequently in reference to color space issues, etc. I’ve also read a ton of Kodi threads and I can’t find anything relevant there either.

So, bottom line, is there a way to disable HDR output via Vero or Kodi?

Thanks!

Why not just dial back the OLED light setting?
There is also an excellent resource for movies with excellent picture quality but no HDR.
Blu-ray :wink:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/lg-oled-tv-settings&ved=2ahUKEwimi7Ton-fjAhUjpnEKHcE0D58QFjACegQIERAI&usg=AOvVaw3WOwBtps9WfLEMn3JAh6oa

I would say you need to calibrate or adjust your TV. The only way HDR can be more stressful than SDR is it can be brighter, so why not reduce the brightness? (actually, it’s contrast you want to reduce).

The answer to your question, BTW, is no if your TV doesn’t have that switch. Ultra Deep Color doesn’t turn off HDR.

Turn down the brightness in HDR mode.

Thanks for your responses. A little more background since I didn’t want the first post to run novel length.

I have a condition (forget the name) where sudden bright light causes my eyes to water and for me to erupt into a sneezing fit. I can’t just step out into bright sunlight without sunglasses for instance. It totally shuts me down.

I watch TV in a completely dark room so when there is exceptionally bright content in HDR, or worse yet, when I adjust the volume or do anything that brings up an OSD, it’s like shining a laser right into my eyes.

That said, I confess to my ignorance of HDR. Because I felt I couldn’t use it, I just turned it off and never looked back. I have my TV already set to the Rtings article that was linked by RJ45, with the exception of the OLED light at 30 instead of 22 for SDR.

The HDR recommendations from the same article are 100 for HDR 10, and 50 for Dolby Vision. Obviously way too bright because of my eye considerations.

If I were to lower the OLED light level, in HDR, to match that of my SDR settings (30) is there any benefit/harm vs just watching the same movie in SDR?

@movableparts I also have it, but not such that a TV causes it.

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me what the name is. I also had some minor LASIK complications years ago which could contribute to the overall miserableness that sudden bright light causes.

I think you could send a fake edid telling the vero you have a SDR capable tv then the vero would convert HDR-> SDR and Send the SDR Signal. That what it does for us who don’t have a HDR display

Not sure how to do that though

Me either. I think tonight I will test simply reducing the OLED light level down to similar levels as SDR to see how it looks. Again, I’m pretty much ignorant about HDR so I have no idea if this approach will compromise the image in some way like crushed black levels, or any number of things.

AFAIK the OLED Light setting shouldn’t crush black or white levels, it’s only adjusting the backlight

Backlight levels would be where to start. In theory, contrast should reduce the difference between bright and dark without affecting blacks but different TVs may implement this in different ways.

If nothing works, send us a log and we could look at doctoring your EDID.

I will continue playing with picture settings and actually learning more about HDR. I know a decent amount about SDR and displays, etc. Kind of shocking how little I know about HDR because I wrote it off so quickly.

I think I can find a happy compromise where I’m still getting most of the benefits of the expanded dynamic range without torching my eyeballs.

If I give up or fail, it’s good to know that it may be possible to spoof the EDID so the TV thinks it’s receiving SDR content.