Is it unreliable or is it me?

Is it just me or are there other users that find the Vero 4K+ to be highly unreliable ? When the Vero is suspended and brought back to life, my LG C8 screen remains black. ssh works, but I have to reboot (or cut the power) in order for the display to work again. It behaved like that for 3 months. Then suddenly (no update or anything else), the display works when it comes to life again. 2 weeks later, no screen again.

Then it developed a sound dropout in all movies in 20 minute intervals (all audio formats, all film resolutions). Fixed by rebooting but the issue returns after a little while.

From time to time, when resuming a H265 movie, it starts playing in slow motion, as if it can’t decode the film fast enough. When I look at the CPU usage when this happens, it’s less than 20%. Fixed only by completely restarting the movie or by moving the movie from the NAS to a USB device.

Since 14 days: when I plug in a 2.5" external disk, the display turns black. ssh still works. Can only be fixed by rebooting.

Since 5 days: it suddenly comes to life when the TV is powered on. Never did that. But the display remains black ofcourse.

-Eric-

This doesn’t sound right, and it would be good to see some logs.

Are you powering the hard drive with an external power supply or powered hub?

The drive is plugged in in the one available USB slot of the Vero device. I’ve now attached a USB3.0 hub (with ethernet as well) but the same problem happens when the drive is plugged into that hub. The drive pulls its power through the USB connection.

Does the Hub has it’s own powersupply? Otherwise you still power the harddisk from the Vero which is not recommended.

No, the hub doesn’t have a power supply. But this used to work (same drive) for months and now suddenly this happens. I’ll see if I can grab some logs for most of these issues.

We do not recommend attaching hard drives without a powered hub or power supply. This is because the USB2.0 port can only deliver half an amp of power.

LG C8 is on, Vero is suspended. I switch to the Vero HDMI input on the LG. The Vero device wakes up, but I end up with a ‘no signal’ message on the tv. Logged in through SSH and grabbed the logs. Then did a shutdown. During the shutdown, I suddenly get screen output…

Logs of this event can be found here: https://paste.osmc.tv/kepihatazu

Firstly – was a hard drive attached, because it wasn’t detected if it was.

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

No hard drive was attached during this test - I’m still waiting for a USB-HUB power supply. So movie content comes from a NAS. I changed the Kodi UI resolution to 1080p and that seems to have fixed the problem that no screen output was produced when the device wakes up.

I’m glad to hear this.

You should find that a powered USB hub also remedies your HDD issue.