Is there an event log i can check?

My vero 4k has been very unreliable after may update. Once every few hours it will totally freeze and either take minutes to respond or I’ll have to climb behind my tv equipment since there’s no other way to power cycle it. Where can i find information on what’s actually happening here?

I’m a newbie with the Vero 4k but my understanding is that you grab the logs and then upload them for people to see.
First, you need to SSH into OSMC
Then issue the two commands below:
grab-logs -A
dmesg | paste-log

Finally, provide the URLs you get back from each command.

Hi

Sorry to hear things aren’t working as expected.
Anything recently changed in your setup? New add-on; newly attached peripherals or relocation of the device?

Cheers

Sam

It’s really much simpler than this. The MyOSMC addon has log upload built in. But in order to get the most verbose output, debug logging must be enabled in Kodi. You will also want to reboot the device after making that change. It’s all explained quite well in the wiki

If at all possible i’d really rather avoid uploading info from my personal devices.

I don’t think so other than the may update, actually i did install one update a few weeks prior, the one that updates the library? I could try disabling that.

Than analyse the logs yourself grab-logs -P -A; good luck

1 Like

The logs aren’t retained for a long time, and personal information (such as usernames and passwords) are not usually uploaded in logs.

I have a similar issue with my Vero 4K+.
It is randomly crashing every few days while playing MP3s.
I enabled logging in the GUI so I could get some help in this forum.

Newbie question:
If I reboot, is it going to overwrite the log data relevant to the crash?

Or does the log data survive a reboot?
If so, I’ll turn it on, disable logging, and then use the log uploader.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Richard

Yes and no, the Kodi logs (the GUI) will be preserved one reboot in the kodi.old.log.

So if the problem is the GUI/Kodi (e.g. you see a sad face) than that should be ok.

If you see an OS crash (no sad face but a full reboot) than the logs normally are not kept after a reboot and you would need to enable persistent logging for that first.

Thanks.
Like some previous occurrences, I just got a black screen.
It occurred today (2021-07-07) in the afternoon, so maybe somewhere around 13:00 in the log.
I was busy and only just this evening went back to check, and saw that it was back up and running, and uploaded the log. Here it is:

https://paste.osmc.tv/useqikozaf

Can someone have a look at the log and see what happened?
Was there a crash?
The other possibility is it was just a loss of HDMI connection.
In the past when this has happened, I’ve cycled the power to force a reboot.

Thanks,
Richard

That might be just a HDMI issue and not a crashed device. Might be actually only be an issue with your AVR in the chain. Maybe try to change the HDMI cable or also can try to enable in settings Lock HDMI HPD

If possible it would be better to connect either via SSH or Webbrowser to restart the Mediacenter via the Webinterface.

Looking at the Kodi Logs it looks like you restarted the Mediacenter twice before uploading the logs so it is hard to say.

Hi, thanks.
I have new information.
This time I was available to pay attention during the crash.
The Vero 4K+ was playing an HD video file.
Here’s what I observed:

• Sudden loss of audio and video, black screen
  • At the same moment, a click sound from USB HDD as it suddenly powered down
  • After a short period, the Vero 4K+ rebooted itself with no intervention by me

In the log I uploaded (see earlier message), the 2 restarts that you mention were not by me. Between the earlier crash and uploading the log, I did not do a restart. Any restarts would have been crash-related.

Could it be overheating? The Vero 4K+ case just felt warm, not hot.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions of what to try next!

Is the USB HDD powered by it’s own power supply or a powered USB Hub?

The USB HDD is currently powered entirely by the Vero 4K+.
It’s a small pocket drive (WD Elements, 3TB).
The connections area as follows:
– Vero 4K+ to hub.
– Hub to wireless dongle, keyboard and HDD.

Do you think the Vero 4K+ might be struggling to provide sufficient current?

The hub is capable of being powered by a 5V supply but if it’s not needed I’d prefer to avoid another source of interference from the inherently noisy switchmode supply because of a separate issue: my Denon AVR is prone to losing HDMI due to a sensitivity to noise.

Yes. Use the powered hub as intended.

OK, a crash just happened again, while the hub had its own independent power.

I just went back to my notes from earlier this year and remembered there’s a whole lot of testing I did that I’d forgotten. The info below is from my notes.

===================================================

I had previously thought the failures were caused by the higher power demands of the external HDD, so I had started connecting the HDD via a powered USB hub to take the load off the Vero 4K+. I tested to see if the hub was actually taking the load off the Vero 4K+. It wasn’t!
Test results:

With Vero on:

Zero Amps seen on lab supply powering hub. Therefore, hub doesn’t assist with powering HDD. Vero must be supplying all the current to HDD with no assistance.

With Vero off:

Current from lab supply powering hub:

• 50mA if hub connected to Vero only (obviously back-feeding into Vero)
  • 250mA if hub connected to HDD and Vero
  • 230mA if hub connected to HDD only

===================================================

The fact that the Vero 4K+ is supplying the all the current and is not being assisted by the hub would explain why it’s still crashing even when the hub is powered - assuming that the crashes are caused by the power supply of the Vero 4K+ struggling to supply enough current for itself and for the HDD.

I’m kind of stuck here. Powering the hub or not doesn’t seem to help. I suppose one solution would be to buy a powered HDD that doesn’t demand/suck any current, but that would be a pain.

Is this the powered hub sold by OSMC? Replacing the hub for one that functions properly would be my suggestion before laying out significantly more for a powered HDD.

It’s not the one by OSMC.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Cheers,
Richard.