Issue with 1080p HEVC (stutters, freeze, black screen)

Sure, file which has the exact symptoms as described earlier in this thread (audio but black/slow/stuttering video): audio but black/slow/stuttering video - Pastebin.com

one of those files in the latter case I described (no audio, no video display): no audio, no video display - Pastebin.com
and another one that also has no audio nor video, only a progressbar (here the progressbar actually does move as if the file is played): also no audio/no video - Pastebin.com

Weird encode. I hope this doesn’t become another trend of the anime scene.

Which device? Is it a PC? It’s probably playing it in software which can be more tolerant to dodgy encodes.

I must have had more fortune. If you keep finding problematic rips, keep pinging me. The more we get, the better.

Sam

Could you point out what exactly is weird about the encode, so I eventually can re-encode it into something the Vero4K won’t have trouble playing ?

I don’t think the container properties are correct. I would try re-encoding it to start with. If you send me the file I can demux it and check it

Sam

I’ve sent you a PM…

I have the exact same symptoms. Here are more clues:

1. vq is always 98-99 while aq goes slowly all the way down to 0; that’s when the frame renews, and aq goes to 99 again, then decreases, etc.
  2. Seeking in the video make it work for half a second each time.

I can provide a sample.

Your first steps in getting help would be logs, and mediainfo since we have no idea if the file you are having problems with has anything to do with this thread.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

It would be good if we could find out more about the file you are having issues playing. Please see the mediainfo section in How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC.

You can also create the mediainfo-output of the affected media file on the OSMC device:

1. login via SSH, user osmc, password osmc
  2. if not already installed: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mediainfo
  3. cdto the directory containing the video/audio material in question
  4. mediainfo -f "<media file>"|paste-log, where <media file> is your video/audio
  5. publish the returned URL here in this topic

Thx for your help.

Sorry for the lack of details.

Here is just like you asked:

Log: https://paste.osmc.tv/urawezujup
mediainfo of the problematic file (please note that the entire series pack shows the same symptoms): https://paste.osmc.tv/biyahemoci

I’m running the 18 alpha but the problem is present on 17 too.

Kodi v18 alpha is still in quite early stages (although the first beta is due in a couple of days).
There are some fixes for resetting the HEVC decoder that can be added soon.

Sam

Do you have a patch for me? Thank you

Hi,

If you’re compiling your own builds, then you can trigger Reset() on failure in AMLCodec.
v17 is EOL now so we will add this in v18

Sam

Hi Sam,

Any news about this issue?

I don’t have a solution for v18 at this time as it’s still experimental. This thread is from a year ago. I think the issues are largely fixed with v17 but would need a sample to test

I am using v17. Here is a sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FlAqvtvFQvWJrYtA-d7L5GQTzwRFDZ1w

I’ve tried playing this one here as well… The audio is fine, but video freezes shortly after playback starts. Strange thing is that there’s also a visible skip at the very same point where the video freezes on Vero when I try playing back this file on my Windows PC using MPC-HC. I’d suspect a bad encode here. :thinking:

The freeze/skip frame is about this one (stopping the video at the exact point on my PC is difficult):