Issue with accessing some NFS shares from OSMC

Previously running librelec with all shares on NFS, thought I would try OSMC again.

Copied the sources.xml from the working libreelec install and shut down, installed osmc on a new SD card, copied the sources.xml back on and rebooted.

Network addressing is taken care of with DHCP, and the Pi has a reservation for its MAC address, so I know that both are getting the same address, and DNS settings etc.

I can connect to most shares just fine, but some it fails on with “Couldn’t connect to network server”, I then booted from the libreelec SD card, and they all worked…

I reduced the sources.xml to just two entries as per sources.xml - Pastebin.com

As this is just for NFS, there is no passwords.xml

I then enabled debug logging, and rebooted to get a clean debug log, then connected to the working share and the share that does not work, log is as per kodi log - Pastebin.com line 841 is the beginning of the successful connection, with error occurring on line 868

OSMC is 16.1 compiled August 28 2016
Libreelec is 16.1 Git:327c53 Compiled June 22 2016

I’m a little lost on how to proceed from here and would welcome any suggestions

If you can, use IPs not host names. DNS and Zeroconf are not always unreliable unless you are using your own DNS server.

Also worth doing that at least as a test

I showed the error happening on two different shares on the same server to prove that this is not a hostname resolution issue.

For the sake of clarity I have tried changing the sources.xml from a hostname to an IP address, and there is no change in behaviour.

I have also tried the NFS browser, which sees the share but is unable to open it.

To repeat, the same sources.xml works perfectly under libreelec

But does the logged error change?

Are your export flags identical for the two shares?
Are the server side permissions for the two locations the same?

the logged error does not change

00:16:07 119.116638 T:1666659312 ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with “NFS: READDIRPLUS of / failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)”
00:16:07 119.116882 T:1957036976 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.53.15/completed/
00:16:07 119.117813 T:1957036976 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.53.15/completed/) failed

To repeat a key point which appears to have been missed

the same sources.xml works perfectly under libreelec

the NFS shares are configured identically

get-nfsshare | fl

Name : films
Path : D:\Shared\films
NetworkName : FILE-2
Availability : Standard (not clustered)
Online : True
AnonymousAccess : Disabled
AnonymousGid : -2
AnonymousUid : -2
UnmappedUserAccess : Enabled
Authentication : {sys, Krb5, Krb5i, Krb5p}

Name : completed
Path : D:\Shared\completed
NetworkName : FILE-2
Availability : Standard (not clustered)
Online : True
AnonymousAccess : Disabled
AnonymousGid : -2
AnonymousUid : -2
UnmappedUserAccess : Enabled
Authentication : {sys, Krb5, Krb5i, Krb5p}

if this was a file permission error, then libreelec would not be able to connect.

I’ll go back to using libreelec

Good luck then.

There’s absolutely no reason why Kodi would connect to two identically configured NFS shares differently from one to the other. This is almost certainly some issue with the server side shares. It appears that you may be using some type of commercial NAS that does not provide for traditional configuration of NFS by use of the exports file. This might have something to do with the problem. Ownership of the shared directories and files is what I would suspect. Kodi runs as root user in LE and as user osmc under OSMC, this is the only difference I can imagine that could have any effect.

All the best. Sorry that it didn’t work out. If LibreELEC works, stick with it :slight_smile:

We’d need complete logs rather than excerpts.

Spotted it. Your Kodi log shows:

ERROR: Failed to open(//) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of / failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"

Which means you have a permissions problem with your share. OSMC runs as uid 1000. See https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=88697 for more information.

You hit the nail on the head, it was to do with permissions, because the user/uid was different…