Issue with Audio output device on OSMC Rpi3

I have this issue on my OSMC on Rpi3: whenever a movie starts it is soundless so I have to choose the Audio output device, I have made 4 buttons on my remote (iPhone) with each Audio output device respectively
(PI:HDMI, PI:Analogue, PI:HDMI and Analogue, ALSA:Default) and I have to press each one randomly until one of them works each time a movie begins, thank god for the remote otherwise I would have to browse all the way through settings. I am using Philips HDMI monitor and the sound comes from my monitor, and have no other extra speakers other than the built in speakers from the monitor. Do you know of anything that can be done in order to fix this issue, even if it works on for example PI:HDMI, the next movie will not work with the same setting and have to press more buttons until one works, I don’t understand why this happens! Any tips will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

Set the appropriate output. Return to the main menu and “Exit” Kodi. It should exit and then restart after a moment. Your settings should be then successfully saved.

This sounds interesting. I’m using Kodi with Yatse Android remote. I have the possibility to add customized buttons. Can you possibly help me step-by-step how to setup the output device?

Settings>System>Audio> Select the appropriate device. It’s really easy to simply browse around in the settings/system menus to find these settings.

I think my question was not precise enough. I know how to change audio output device in Kodi Settings. IT’s more about this Yatse remote Smartphone app. I’d like to generate four different buttons for the output devices:

1. Set Kodi to “HDMI” Yatse: Generate new button - Import Settings from Kodi (command: audiotoggledigital) - set specific Icon and Name, assign to remote - “Exit” Kodi
  2. Set Kodi to “Analogue” - …
  3. Set Kodi to “Analogue and HDMI” - …
  4. Set Kodi to “Alsa” - …
    It doesn’t work that way. Any idea?

Then you should be asking for support from Yatse.

You are certainly right. I was just thinking that lukeeee may have some experience and could give me some help.

Yatse is not supported on iPhone, what I do is find the item that I want as a button press and hold until a drop down menu shows up asking if I would like to set a button, its that simple on iPhone Kodi Remote App

Thanks for the reply, the settings were saved however the issue is still happening, this only affects movies, OSMC browsing/scrolling sounds work perfectly, however when a movie starts it is soundless and require a change in Audio output device. Any more tips? Thanks.

To what device? Is this the device that is set as default?

The device is the monitor, yes I only use this monitor no other speakers so by default it is the one that should output sound, what I don’t understand is that these: (PI:HDMI, PI:Analogue, PI:HDMI and Analogue, ALSA:Default) all work fine however if I’m watching a movie with PI:HDMI and it finishes and I choose another movie while still with PI:HDMI selected the sound still doesn’t work so I have to use the buttons on my remote to switch to “PI:HDMI and Analogue” and then “PI:Analogue” and then it works fine, I just don’t understand why the need to change through Audio output devices when the current Audio output device has just successfully played the last movie.

Do you have another sdcard or can you create a backup of this one and try a fresh install?

I can try, but how will that help? The previous version prior to the latest update had the same issue and with the new update having the same issue I’m thinking its a configuration setting or maybe a bug which may be fixed with a re-installation as you’re suggesting. What are your thoughts? And thanks for your time.

This is what I suspect is a possibility.

In Yatse create a new button and copy paste

For HDMI

On Json-RPC method
Settings.SetSettingValue

In Json rpc params section
{“setting”:“audiooutput.audiodevice”,“value”:“PI:HDMI”}

(for analogue change HDMI to Analogue)

I don’t know the command line to switch to Alsa (I have an IQaudIO Dac plus) if you or everyone know I’m very interested !!!

I would also like to know the command line to switch to ALSA - IQaudIO Dac plus. The line:

{“setting”:“audiooutput.audiodevice”,“value”:“ALSA:Default”}

did not do the trick. Any help would be very appreciated.

Edit:Found the answer here: { settings = ( { addontype = "xbmc.gui.sk - Pastebin.com.

the line:
{“setting”:“audiooutput.audiodevice”,“value”:“ALSA:@”}

does the trick.

If your device isn’t the default alsa device, the above trick doen’t work.
I wanted to switch to my USB DAC.

To find out the correct name in the rpc command look into /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
and figure out, what matches your desired device

09:27:12.091 T:1958780928 NOTICE: Device 2
09:27:12.091 T:1958780928 NOTICE: m_deviceName : @:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0

So the the line is:
{“setting”:“audiooutput.audiodevice”,“value”:“ALSA:@:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0”}