Jerky UI after a few hours use?

Hi all,

Since I got my Vero, I’ve noticed that the Kodi UI gets sluggish after being left on for a while, but when I do a quick reboot, it’s a slick as is should be. Has anyone else noticed this?

Admittedly, I’m using a different skin, “Mimic”, rather than the OSMC skin (due to missing features/styles that I use/prefer). However, I have tried previously doing the same 24hr test with just the OSMC skin and I see the same UI performance hit.

I’ve not installed any other services (other than Samba via the AppStore) and I just have one external HDD connected.

Any ideas?

Have you run updates recently ? There was a kernel bug a while ago that caused the UI to become slow and stuttery after the TV was disconnected or turned off, until a reboot, but that was fixed a number of weeks ago now.

Is it only after being left on for a while, or does it actually correlate with the TV being switched off then back on later ?

Hi DBMandrake,

Yeah, it installed some updates a couple of days ago (I’ve got auto-check on “Daily”).

With regards whether it’s related to the TV being turned on/off; I don’t know, I’ll try when I get home and see if there’s any connection.

Thanks again.

I’m still struggling with this issue too. It isn’t really a “gamebreaker” but it is irritating.

I received a Raspberry Pi 2 at the weekend and installed OSMC on that - the difference is incredible, the Pi2 is so much faster when browsing menus etc.

What I don’t understand is that the Vero seems to have the raw power under the hood. When I’m running applications within OSMC, even streaming add-ons such as MLB.tv, they seem to load and process just as quickly as the Pi2. What is it which makes the UI so sluggish and slow?

@DBMandrake Finally got 'round to testing this a bit more and indeed it does appear to be directly linked to the TV power. After a fresh reboot, I turned off the TV, turned it back on again and immediately it shows the sluggish performance.

If it helps, it seems like there’s diagonal screen tearing/flickering when this issue occurs (which I never normally see/notice).

Are you sure you’re running the latest update ? This exactly describes an issue that was fixed back around RC2 or RC3. Do you also see the same behaviour if you unplug the HDMI cable from the Vero for a few seconds and plug it back in ?

Can you please provide the output of the following command both before turning the TV off and after turning it back on when it stutters ?

cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/virtual_size

Can you also provide full debug logs with kodi in debug mode after the TV has been turned off and on.

After a fresh boot please also provide the output of these two commands:

cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode
cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes

A possible workaround would be to change your refresh rate to a non-default refresh rate and set “adjust display refresh rate” to “on start/stop”.

I assume that your resolution defaults to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, if so try changing it to either 50Hz or 24Hz (if your TV supports the latter) in Settings->System->Video Output, then in Settings->Video->Playback set “Adjust display refresh rate” to on start/stop.

It’s generally a good idea to enable “adjust display refresh rate” anyway as it automatically switches the TV to the refresh rate of the video - this is particularly good for watching movies which are usually 24Hz so they can be watched at their native frame rate instead of at 60Hz using 3:2 pull down.

The problem you’re seeing is caused by double buffering being disabled after the HDMI connection is broken and reconnected, (which is why you see tearing) and if its the same problem that we thought we had fixed then it only happens if you use the default refresh rate. So by switching to a different refresh rate for the GUI it avoids this and adjust display refresh rate will still switch the refresh rate back to whatever it needs to be when you play video. Give it a try and see if that helps in the meantime.

Are you sure you’re running the latest update ?

Yep, running “OSMC June 2015 06-1” and it says there are no further updates.

Do you also see the same behaviour if you unplug the HDMI cable from the Vero for a few seconds and plug it back in ?

Nope, this seems to be ok (tried it a couple of times)

Can you please provide the output of the following command both before turning the TV off and after turning it back on when it stutters ?

BEFORE:
osmc@osmc:~$ cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/virtual_size

AFTER (issue occured immediately after turning TV off & on again):
osmc@osmc:~$ cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/virtual_size

Can you also provide full debug logs with kodi in debug mode after the TV has been turned off and on.

Certainly, but unfortunately I do not know how to do this. Can you please provide me the steps required?

Thanks for the workarounds - will try them out if I need to. Thank you for the detailed explaination of the problem. Hopefully some of this information will be helpful.

Thanks again :+1:

(P.S. - My Vero does not go directly to the TV, it’s passed through my Onkyo amplifier - but this has never caused me any issues with RPi’s or other devices in the past)

Intriguing - my Vero is also passed through an Onkyo amplifier. Don’t know if it is a coincidence or more?

Do you see the problem if it’s directly connected to the TV and the TV is turned off and on ?

Yup, the same problem exists for me even when the Vero is plugged directly to the TV. :confused:

Same. I don’t get any “screen tearing” but it is not smooth when navigating around the UI.

@DBMandrake Let me know if you need any further information from me (and if so, steps to do so). Thanks :smile:

Will try and replicate and should squash for July update

S

1 Like

Sound great @sam_nazarko, let me know if you need any more info from me! :wink:

Just to confirm that this “big” update this month seems to have resolved this issue, THANK YOU! :wink:
#NoMoreDailyRestarts #Whoop

1 Like

This is happening to my as well. I’m using OSMC 1.0 (June) with Confluence. When I leave my RP2 on all night and turn on my tv the next day, Confluence is very laggy. I haven’t tried the July update yet.

Good to know. :+1:

RP2 == Pi 2?

This bug was only affecting Vero units and we have addressed it.

Sam

Yes, I see that now. I saw the title without noticing the Vero tag.

I will test the July update later this week and see if the problem persists. If so, I’ll start another thread.