JPEG picture instead of folder icon

Okay, I KNOW this has been touched upon, and in the bigger scheme of things it matters not at all, but I haven’t found a solution I understand as yet, so…
Is it possible with Vero 4K to have a JPEG photo replace the folder icon?

My understanding is a file cannot have a photo, but a folder potentially can. Yet I cannot see how to do it, despite seeing some nice screen grabs on the 'net where people have managed it.

If anyone has a solution, please make it simple to understand as I am not a computer guy and a lot of jargon and making logs I don’t understand. I have a Mac Pro and only yesterday, after 11 years, did I learn how to turn a folder icon into a picture!
I also learned yesterday to turn my Vero level setting from basic to expert…

I just thought it’d make for a nicer browsing experience to show poster artwork for my collection of TV shows and folders holding film files. If I can’t, ah well…
Thanks in advance.

I assume you really mean in folder view not in library view. If that is the case just put the picture with the name folder.jpg into the folder and the Vero will display it.

Either folder.jpg or poster.pg in the folder. If I remember correctly. Poster if it’s in the library view i think

As i wrote my tip above works in “folder view” but I hope/assume you already have found out about the Library function of Vero/OSMC/Kodi?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Library

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library

I honestly do not know if I’m using a library.
I have ‘update library on start-up’ selected.
What I see is just a pretty plain/standard Kodi deal.
I’m looking at these Create Video Library links, and don’t really understand.
I’m by no means ‘thick’ but am not remotely computer-savvy.
I’ll keep trying for what it’s worth anyway, and thank you.

Well to succeed with a library you first would need to have the right folder structure of your files.
1, Separate folders for TV Shows and Movies
2. Then you would go to Videos → Add Videos. You then would choose your respective folder for TV Shows or Movies. On the next screen you would then choose 'The directory contains` respectively.
When you confirm there the files will be added to your library and you will get a Movies and TV Shows entry on the main menu.

For this to work your files need to be named appropriately to be recognized by the scrapper.
If everything works you would get something like you can see in the first screenshot in this thread

I have switched to ESTUARY, which looks a lot more promising!
The ‘scrapers’ have failed to install though.
But I think now I MIGHT be on the right path, and in fact starting to use/build a ‘library’!

Scraper add-ons are failing to install.
I’ve had my Vero 4K about 3 years, maybe even 4.
Could it be too old to accept these add-ons?
It is updated to October 2020.

Please provide logs so someone can see why.

Absolutely not

The main needed scrapers are preinstalled

I see this stated a lot and have zero idea what logs are or how to provide them.

Then you must also very often see the link we provide describing the easy method for obtaining them.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

1 Like

“Then you must also very often see the link we provide describing the easy method for obtaining them.”

That’s quite patronising; but, yeah, it still makes no sense to me.
You’re stating instruction to a person as if they have a clue about this stuff; I barely know how to turn my computer on. I wasn’t born with them and they came into my life quite late on.
So, as a ‘clueless’, if I successfully follow those instructions, how do I then upload the log?
You state, upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A - so is that WITHIN the Vero 4K?
I am sure it’s obvious and second-nature to you, but not to me. This baffles me!

Did you click the link above where “You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here”?

There is quite a bit of information to be had on the internet about just about any Kodi subject you can imagine. Perhaps this video I found by searching youtube for “kodi how to setup library” will help you understand the process.

Believe me, I spent hours trawling the 'net before I posted a cry for help on here…
I hadn’t seen that video and it goes some way to helping me out.
Many thanks.