June 2015 release Pi 2 "rainbow screen"

downloaded june 2015 release for Pi 2 … screen stuck on “rainbow” screen … downloaded version 3 … currently Pi is “installing files” … will check / try for an update once version 3 finishes

Stuck on the rainbow screen almost certainly means you’ve downloaded the wrong image, eg Pi 1 for a Pi 2 or vica versa.

You definitely have a Pi 2 and chose the Pi 2 version ?

Are you using the installer or are you downloading the image manually ?

I have a Pi 2 and downloaded Pi 2 version. I used the installer and a windows PC to create Pi 2 sd card.

After two failed (stuck on rainbow screen) June 2015 tries I tried Version 3 and it appears to be stuck on “installing files” when the card was placed into Pi 2 … has been stuck for 10+ hours.

I’m going to look into trying to download image manually

Any other help info is appreciated

Please try and download the image for Raspberry Pi 1 and try to see if this works.
Several other people in this group has made the the same mistake, believing they have a Pi2, but finding out that it is a Pi 1.

If possible you could upload a photo of your Pi, both the backside and the front.

I’ll try to get pictures of Pi … also the memory card is a 4gig card … that shouldn’t be a problem … correct?

That’s definitely a Pi 2 you have there.

Next thing I would try is a different model SD card - there could be a problem with it or it may not be 100% compatible with the Pi 2.

Personally I wouldn’t install on less than an 8GB card or you’re likely to run low on space when you actually start using it properly.

I had used this same card with an older version of OSMC … I’ll try to give the manual install a shot and then see if i can locate another card

I ended up finding a 32gig card and all appears to have worked :slight_smile: … now to hunt down and install the ad-ons again ;-(

1 Like

I’m hitting this same issue. I’m using a PI2, have a 32GB class 10 card that I’ve been using for months with KODI, and a good power supply (also used for months).

I’ve tried both the automated installer, as well as manually dd’ing an image on the microSD and they all lead to the rainbow screen. This is using the 2015-06 release.

Any hints?

Are you 100% certain you have downloaded the Pi 2 version of the image and that you really do have a Pi 2 and not a Pi 1 B+ ? Not trying to be funny here - they look very similar and most cases of being stuck on the rainbow screen are caused by either downloading the wrong image or not having the model of Pi that the person thought they had…

When you tried the dd method, did you make sure you unziped the disk image first ? It’s a gzipped disk image, so use gunzip to unzip it first. Can you show an ‘ls -al’ of the root directory of the SD card after you’ve imaged it but before you’ve attempted to boot from it on the Pi ?

Whelp… after all that, I have a microSD card that decided NOW was the time to bite it.

Sorry for the noise.

Ok, so after reading several forums I’m still stuck with rainbow screen. Things I’m able to confirm :

1. I’m sure I have Raspberry Pi 2
  2. I’ve tested on 8GB microSD I can’t confirm brand
  3. I’ve bought 16GB, class 10, SanDisk - didn’t help
  4. I’ve installed OSMC through osmc-installer.exe - tried all 3 releases that were available from menu, both Raspberry Pi(just to be sure) and Raspberry Pi 2
  5. Everytime I’ve modified config.txt to add boot_delay=1 (saw on forums that it helped someone) so my config file looks like this :

disable_overscan=1
framebuffer_depth=32
gpu_mem=16
boot_delay=1

1. I wonder about space available after installation, I expected something related to 32 GB, why does it show 244 988 k total memory ? Below my files after installing OSMC through installer - there are no any directiories :

bootcode.bin
cmdline.txt
config.txt
filesystem.tar.xz
fixup_cd
kernel.img
pressed.cfg
start_cd

1. My adapters :

1. According to the source I bought my RPi from, I’m using power supply 5V 2A, didn’t test anything else

Please let me know what else can I check/test and please advise what can I do to finally make OSMC boot properly :slight_smile:

This should not be necessary - did you actually try installing without changing config.txt ? There should be no need at all to change the default config.txt during initial installation.

The PC installer creates a 256MB FAT32 partition, during the initial boot on the Pi an additional ex4 partition is created using the remainder of the space on the disk, which you will not see on Windows. This is perfectly normal.

Looks OK.

Does your Pi boot any other operating system like Raspbian ?

Have you ever used the Pi successfully before or is it brand new ?