KODI 17 on RPi, very slow start of viewing

Hi Bosse_B,

Are you using a powered usb hub to power the usb external hard-drive and and any other USB peripherals?

I’m only ask as the power requirements of krypton are higher than jarvis, this may also explain the slow start times.

Thanks Tom.

I am using a 2A power supply with short wires to the RPi2. It is also configured for maximum USB power on its 4-way USB built-in hub. That is where my 2.5" 1TB drive is connected. Has worked just fine, there are absolutely no issues playing MP4:s from that drive.
My problems are with the slow loading of on-line material.[quote]
I’m only ask as the power requirements of krypton are higher than jarvis, this may also explain the slow start times.[/quote]
If there is a change it is not in hardware, with KODI 16 I had a few seconds load times (like 4-5) before playing started. Now after installing KODI17 is when the lags started…
Hence the subject of this thread.

Hi Bosse_B,

I was using my pi with: TRENDnet TU3-ETG USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet, which was plugged straight into the built-in hub and I was struggling to play Internet based content; my local content played fine (NAS). Since removing I have no issues with my Internet addons. (I know this isn’t a usb HD, but thy both draw power)

Could you please try for testing: Removing 1 tb drive and try CBSN and SVTPlay again. As I said before I’ve been unable to reproduce your issue, I’ve no usb devices connected to my pi; just a network cable and the power.

If does play correctly you will need a powered usb hub:

I’ve just found this on modmypi, others maybe able to recommend another one.

Thanks Tom.

I unplugged the USB drive and then started CBSN.
Did not change anything, start delay now 25 s for a 10 minute news item.

Hi Bosse_B,

Any difference with SVTPlay?

Thanks Tom.

SVTPlay: load time (HD material): 6-7 s
CBSN: load times vary between 18-28 s
None is affected by the plugged in state of the USB disk drive.
I found a CBSN Add-On setting for the quality, which I lowered from 4000 to 360 but it did not have any effect whatsoever on the loading time or the actual image quality shown.

EDIT:
On my Win7 PC in FireFox I went to the cbsn website and started this video:

It took about 10s to load and start playing.
Might not be a relevant test, but I thought that it might be because CBSN is in the USA and SVTPlay in Sweden where I live.

I’ve just tried this on my laptop over wifi, about 5 seconds to load. This could suggest a bottleneck in your network somewhere. I would check all your cabling and switches.

As for improving things on the pi, csbn:[quote=“dillthedog, post:18, topic:36348”]
These kind of errors in the log are “normal” for mpeg-ts files and just a sign of a bad cut, it should start playing after it skipped the broken part.

Which seems to be what happens. It skips n seconds and then starts playing.
[/quote]

Although I agree that the issue with csbn addon, is probably the bad cuts. This doesn’t explain why I can’t can’t reproduce the long load times or that your having this issue across all your Internet addons.

It could be as ActionA suggests an issue with your sd card. I would backup your settings and try either rerunning the osmc on the sandisk or try a different sdcard. I would recommend: Samsung 32 GB Evo MicroSDHC or 16GB one.

Have you alternative power supply for the pi to try, as this could be starting to fail. If you do not an have alternative to try, the osmc store sells a good one.

As stated above it could a network bottleneck, to start with I would try replacing the short network cable that runs to the pi.

I know this issue has only started to present itself to with the updated to kodi17, this could have been just a coincidence. Failing components can occur anytime, you may have started to see this issue even if you had remained even if you had remained with 16.

Thanks Tom.

OK,
I will start by trying to re-create the vacation home setup. I have the mobile broadband WiFi router belonging to that installation available at home so it would be possible to do.
Then no cable should be involved and also my home network would be out of the picture.
Will take some time to arrange, though.
BTW the WiFi adapter on tis RPi2 is an Edimax EW-7811Un, if that matters (only used during summer visits to the vacation home).

EDIT:
Took shorter than expected. Mobile Internet router now running. I am getting 50 Mbit/s speed when checking on my phone against that network. Reconfigured OSMC to use the Wifi connection and then checked CBSN load time: 32 seconds…
SVTPlay is 8 seconds.

Doesn’t look OSMC specific. I see you also posted in the Kodi forum and have replied there too.

Do you get this issue with a wired connection? The adapter you mention isn’t the best for throughput.

Sam

Hi,

That does seem to confirm thats its not a network issue then.

So if you can try an alternative power supply

or

reimage / replace sd card.

Thanks Tom.

If you had followed this you would know that I only on request by Tom_Doyle checked the WiFi connection. The issue was raised with a wired network…
Both behave the same.
But Tom cannot reproduce…

I have replaced the SDcard with no obervable difference. Same delays.

Yes I did, in fact I created that thread before starting this thread since I also thought it was KODI specific, but there was no reply so I went here…
Now the first reply I received was that of someone with the exact same problem…

EDIT
Hmm,
while I was typing the reply to Tim’s post it disappeared. So the below is in response to Tim saying he was sorry he could not solve my problem…
END EDIT

Not your fault!
And I went here knowing that it is really a KODI/Add-On problem rather than OSMC, because I hoped someone could advice. Tried first on the KODI forum.
Thanks for your interest and efforts!

You may want to try enabling RTMP Input and/or InputStream Adaptive. They are disabled by default in Kodi 17. Just Google “Kodi RTMP” and you’ll find plenty of instructions.

They should actually be enabled by default now.
I tested this on a Vero 4K with the April update.

I have now enabled both RTMP and InputStream Adaptive.
It might have helped some, I am now down to 13-15 seconds loading times after selecting a news item in CBSN. Similarly on SVTPlay I have like 5-6 seconds load times.

please,
is there any news about this issue since i also experienced the same behavior with youtube add-on on Kodi 17 on OSMC. Hardware ist the old RPI 1 B.

when i send youtube videos from the smartphone (android) over yaste remote to Kodi 17 on OSMC and RPI1 B it takes over 20 sec to play

Kodi 16 worked very well compared to 17

please help and thanks in advance!

This is more likely to be the cause of the problem than Kodi 17.

hello again,

then what would you suggest to do in my case? is there any method to downgrade back to kodi 16 without having to install all the addons from scratch?

thx very much!