Kodi 18.8 eta?

KODI 18.8 has been released, is there a eta on 18.8 for OSMC release?

We’ll release it with Buster.

1 Like

when will buster be ready?

When its done.

1 Like

yea, obviously. i meant more of a were putting the final touches on it, or we have a ways to go sort of answer

everytime Sam has to answer if when is it done its one step futher away, again when its done is the most simple answer.

if he wants to ship it with buster i rather not have a busted OSMC install just because he had to rush it.

2 Likes

not actually asking for your opinion here, like i said…close or a ways to go.

i see the buster osmc repo is up. is it close enough for testing?

just add the dev apt and update

When it’s ready for testing, there will probably be a post in the Testing category. As of now, it’s not really ready for public testing yet, so if you do try it, you may have difficult to solve problems. You are best to wait for an official announcement, or better wait until Buster and 18.8 are truly ready.

Kodi v18.8 and Buster are completed from perspective of 4K/4K+.

Are there particular features / changes you’re after in 18.8? Hopefully it’s a bit more stable than 18.7 which had some issues in that area but there aren’t major changes.

Sam

i edited my /etc/apt/sources.list, and changed strech to buster, then ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

everything went smoothly, buster and 18.8 seem very smooth, vero4k+ seems much snappier.

i am hoping that 18.8 is more stable then 18.7 as well!

thank you for takinng the time to reply.

on a side note i see you are still using the 3.1.4 kernel, 4.9 still need work?

osmc@osmc$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster

Yes, 4.9 is still experimental.

I like the Duke Nukem Forever reference

2 Likes

On my RPi2 i have change in /etc/apt/sources.list :

stretch to buster

1. apt update && apt full-upgrade
  2. reboot
  3. apt autoremove
  4. apt clean && apt autoclean

My OSMC is ready for Kodi Matrix and i´m on 18.8 :slight_smile:

I don’t know but Kodi was more fast and stable :slight_smile:

I think you’ll see an announcement real soon now.

They like to rush it, its always the version hunters that cant wait…

or maybe they just need an updated software stack to e.g. run Nextcloud in parallel. Due to outdated PHP this is currently an issue. And installing PHP and get it working for Apache as well is not such easy if you are not such familiar with Linux.

Thats the reason why I currently have an outdated & unsupported nextcloud installation.

Any chance of 18.8 on stretch for Rpi3?

stretch has been rock solid but 18.7 has been troublesome, with memory leaks (without any addon and kodi idle) and occasional crashes

Looking forward to buster however that’s a fairly massive change to the environment (I’m running small custom scripts and some docker containers)

It will arrive with buster.

Stretch is end of life now (for us), so you’d have to build 18.8 from source yourself.