Kodi 18 Released

See the comment above your post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Any news on when weā€™ll get an update yet?

I think the OSMC team are still waiting for the 18.1 release of Kodi which contains some important bugfixes which is why the OSMC team have not wanted to push the current 18.0 release. Kodi have not released this update yet.

Kodi 18.1 was officially released several days ago. Not saying to push anyone, just to avoid misunderstandings.

I was just going by the news page on the Kodi website and that mentions a release candidate on 18.1 but not the actual release, sorry if this was incorrect.

Am I the only one who is afraid to update to new software as long as the old one does everything it should just fine ? Having the new version is nice of course but also a bit scary ( at least for me personally )

Kodi 18.1 for Android is now available on the Google Play Store. Not sure if that means anything official or not.

Weā€™re still working out a few issues with v18; but not long now.
Itā€™s being actively worked on and is my current focus.

Sam

4 Likes

Blockquote
Am I the only one who is afraid to update to new software as long as the old one does everything it should just fine ? Having the new version is nice of course but also a bit scary ( at least for me personally )

I am waiting v.18 because there are some add-ons that do not work properly with v.17, whitch does not have DRM. For example, ivi.ru add-on (Russian online cinema).

1 Like

Yeah, but v17 doesnā€™t do everything it should. Even just the lack of native-resolution output for DVD rips is a killer.

Hu? Your v17 does not play MPEG-2/x264 .mkvs in 720/704 Ɨ 576/480?

We had that conversation at length last year. When playing a standard definition video, or a 720p/24 video, is there any way to completely avoid upscaling?

I see. Thanks for the link! It just sounded strange to me as Iā€™ve never had any problems playing 4:3 material in 1440 Ɨ 1080, 720/704 Ɨ 576/480 or even lower resolutions of historical movies.

Well personally I couldnā€™t care less how it plays a DVD. Only time i watch dvds is when i watch some old documentary thatā€™s too old or obscure to be released on BR or web-dl

Everyone has different viewing preferences.
This is why the update is taking a bit of time. Everything has to work as well as it does with v17.6 as an absolute minimum.

Sam

2 Likes

It does not. I mean, it plays them, but thereā€™s no way to stop it from upscaling them, and the upscaling quality isnā€™t great. Whatā€™s needed is actual 480p and 576p output.

v18 handles that better, although still not particularly well - itā€™s difficult to stop it from messing up the aspect ratio with 4:3 stuff.

(See the thread Graham linked to for more details).

Iā€™m fine in waiting for the new version to appear as it does allow the team to properly work on the new version and not rush it out in a incomplete state with missing/buggy features which no one wants instead a properly hashed out update with all the features and bugs squashed and performing as it should is one should be patient for.

Has the skin changed aesthetically for the OSMC Leia version? If so got any screenshots?

Itā€™s not important, just find myself wondering every now and then as i kinda like the way it is now.

There have been a number of improvements. I think these were generally outlined in the testing and development section.

1 Like

No estimate on when you can release it yet?
I canā€™t watch streams anymore because providers switched to Widevine protected streams and thatā€™s not supported in Kodi 17.