Kodi add-ons - unwanted, no memory of installation, and unremovable - youtube-dl, and dependency codequick

Hi,

I was just looking for any YouTube updates, and discovered I had a program addon named youtube-dl, apparently designed to copy streams to disk. I have no desire for this, and no recollection of installing it.

I can neither disable nor uninstall youtube-dl as it says it has a dependency on codequick. This name rings a bell, but i don’t see it listed in any repositories.

As I recall, my memory of the name codequick dates to last year when I was seeking ways to add a simple menu item to kodi to run a bash script.

It’s also not part of the zip based repos I’ve installed for specific functionality:

• CastagnaIT (netflix)
  • Sandman79 (Amazon, Amazon Vod) (repo installed but no addons from it are installed)
  • Zomboided (vpn manager for openvpn)

I have veracrypt installed, however this is at the o/s level - kodi has no awareness of it.

My installation dates back to April 2018; I’ve made 4 official osmc updates since then, the latest being from December 2018 (kodi 17) to May’s Kodi 18 release.

Any pointers welcomed.
RR

huh

Addons sometimes have dependencies that are downloaded as part of installation but aren’t part of the actual addon. If you look in the addon.xml file for an addon, you can see what dependencies it has.

Codequick is a framework for creating Kodi addons, so it’s likely one of the addons your using (or at least used at one point) uses it.

Looking at Codequick, apparently part of the framework provides YouTube functions, so it requires youtube-dl.

youtube-dl is kind of a library of YouTube functions.

You can try and remove Codequick. If anything is using it, Kodi will tell you what. If you are able to remove it, then you can remove youtube-dl.

The reality is that those things take up a tiny amount of disk space and that’s it. If nothing is using them, they aren’t running.

1 Like