Kodi freeze/stuck on circle logo

If you are able to login, it’s not a system issue or problem with OSMC itself, but rather something wrong with Kodi, or possibly a customisation / add-on on your side.

When it happens, if sudo systemctl restart mediacenter brings Kodi back up, then it means the system itself is stable.

You could try echo 131072 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes (not persistent across reboots) in case it’s an OOM issue.

I would disable IPTV and Surveillance.
Watch for a while. If it’s OK, then enable IPTV. If problems don’t occur, then try Surveillance add-on. I suspect the IPTV add-on may be causing the trouble; particularly if it only refreshes the EPG at an interval, and you are getting the freeze at the end of playback.

You will soon find the problem, but it doesn’t look like a fault with the Vero 4K itself.

Failing that, a reinstallation will probably do the trick

As i wrote i set to 2800min the automatic refresh of epg, and NOT during playback. So it cannot be related to epg refresh.

I try to disable both addon, but it’s very frustating every time to wait 2-3 hours to check.
As suggested by @ActionA i uploaded log from ssh https://paste.osmc.tv/xisejipaho if it should be useful.

Unless of course the setting is wrong and it actually is scanning during playback or some other such issue. As sam said, if it’s a problem with Kodi, you’ll have to address it with them as OSMC has no bearing on most of it’s behavior when directly an issue with some other addon (pvr, iptv, 3rd party).

I read your logs and the issue is coming from an add-on by the looks of it. That’s why I have made the above suggestions.

I suspect the issue wouldn’t occur with a fresh Kodi user data folder or fresh install of OSMC. Do you remember when the problem first started occurring and can you think of any changes you made that could have caused this?

i can assure epg it’s not scanning during playback, because when it does it show in the log. By the way i’m doing what suggested by Sam, i disabled both addon, rebooted and started playback. I really hope it’s an addon related problem.

I suspect it will be. Otherwise you will need to reinstall OSMC.
But if the whole system isn’t crashing, it’s very unlikely to be an OSMC related problem (software or hardware). If you had a hardware fault you wouldn’t be able to watch content for 3+hrs, and the box would likely hard freeze rather than restart Kodi gracefully.

Make sure there are no other suspected add-ons or services running on the system.

I reinstalled OSMC some days ago, with sd card image, i remember this happens one week ago (before reinstall) and now i can almost reproduce, with prolungued playback.

I reinstalled OSMC to be sure that my Vero was aware of my scripts (if you remember i tried script to monitor tv status).

So the only addons i have are pvr iptv and surveillance room. Both of them disabled now.

Ok. Let’s see how it goes.

I decided to reinstall. I don’t have anything more on my Vero and i like to have a clean system. So i’m reinstalling (only august 2017 image was available). Then update to september, configure the minimum (smb in FSTAB) and start playback.

I’ll update this post.

The problem occurs again. Even with a fresh install of OSMC.
I reinstalled OSMC and only added smb share in FSTAB. Started playback and after few hours it freezed with the circle logo.
https://paste.osmc.tv/weneciruke.vhdl
I add log, but it shows again the error:
“SpawnThread - fatal error creating thread”

I don’t know what i can do. Share and files are good, i already tested with kodi installed on other android device and on a raspberry pi.

Just to add for other user, i tried with another folder with different files, after less than two hours problem occus again.
Here’s the log
https://paste.osmc.tv/womawukuhu.coffee

Many thanks to @danyus for port-forwarding SSH today and allowing me to have a look at this system after the problem re-occurred.

There seems to be a strange bug here where playback will sometimes hang when Kodi loses connectivity to a file.

OSMC remains responsive however.

It seems that running that Kodi is also responsive to an extent. Running the following command, to terminate the video player via JSON-RPC seems to return Kodi to a responsive state:

curl --header 'Content-Type: application/json' --data-binary '{ "id": 1, "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Player.Stop", "params": { "playerid": 1 } }' 'http://127.0.0.1:8080/jsonrpc'

I am investigating this further.

Sam

1 Like

Hi,

After some more investigation I believe we have resolved the problem now.

Thanks to @danyus and @fzinken for testing and being patient while we looked in to the matter.

Sam

1 Like