The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC
This has been happening for a while (months; maybe much longer) now and I’m finally trying to figure out what the cause is. It happened last night while watching something and I just went to sleep, hoping it might finish. What happens is that the UI just gets extremely unresponsive. I can hit an arrow on the remote and it might take anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes for that single button to be acted upon by Kodi. When I woke up, it was still doing this, though my wife said it was briefly working. I suspect Kodi may have rebooted a couple of times overnight and she happened to catch it shortly after a reboot.
What you were doing when this issue occurred
Nothing specific. It can happen while watching a video or starts randomly when no one is even using it.
Whether you can replicate this issue on demand. If you can, then please provide some steps on how an OSMC developer can reproduce the same issue.
I cannot pin down anything that causes this.
The device you are currently running OSMC on
What peripherals are attached to the device?
Logitech USB Unifying receiver.
Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC?
No. It has been happening across several updates. It might even go back to v18.8 or earlier.
When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not present?
Sadly, I don’t know.
I tried to grab the logs, but wound up with the frowny face while it was slowly uploading. Due to the UI, I needed to grab the logs via the command line. What was grabbed before the crash is here: https://paste.osmc.tv/axumiqumeg
In my own troubleshooting, I’ve noticed that every time this happens, ‘top’ shows multiple kodi.bin processes are in a ‘D’ state and memory usage is ~1.4G with at least one CPU showing a lot of activity. I’ve also seen kodi.bin processes showing their running time as up to 36 hours.
My NAS is a Windows 10 VM running under ESXi 6.7u3 and that’s where the fstab entries are pointing to. When this happens, neither the W10 VM nor the ESXi host, itself, show any high disk I/O usage. In fact, they both seem to be quite inactive across CPU, disk, network, and memory. I can even access the shares and play video files back via other computers without lag or other apparent issues, while this is going on.
One other thing that MIGHT be of use to note is that I’m using a MOCA adapter to hardwire the Vero to my network. The Vero plugs into a regular switch and the switch then connects to the network through the MOCA adapter.
Let me know if you see anything in the logs or if you’ll need another set of logs uploaded.
Thanks for your time!