Kodi Monitor judder/stutter/flicker Issues

They don’t? Then who made this one?

Some outfit in Poland or Turkey or somewhere.

Update: I’ve found I can get the Red clip to play smoothly on my Panasonic by turning off ‘1080p Pure Direct’ (‘Reproduces the original image quality for 1080p (HDMI) input signal’). Seems like a useless option to have, even if it was clearer what it actually does.

Thanks for the update Graham! I’ve been shopping around for a TV as it seems to be the special sauce for that smooth 24p playback. I’m thinking of the 55" Sony X85J as it’s available in SA and then investing in the Vero V once I have the funds.

If I recall correctly, “Pure Direct” means accepting a 4:4:4 video signal and passing it through rather than treating the input as 4:2:2 and doing its own chroma upsampling. But maybe that also disables 24Hz display, on the grounds that it’s intended for use with PCs, etc. :man_shrugging:

Update: The only suppliers with Sony TVs in South Africa won’t ship to my hometown for some reason. So I’m back on the search for an affordable unit with good motion handling and brightness. Recommendations are welcome!

If you want to push image brightness then avoid conventional (RGBW) OLED TVs. Quantum dot OLED is a good compromise - good near-black performance with decent brightness and colour volume - but also expensive. An LCD based display (e.g. “mini-LED”) may go even brighter, but you’ll get poorer near-black performance, and haloing around bright objects.

I’m honestly not sure you’ll notice much difference between the motion handling on different TVs. Philips and maybe Sony have a reputation for being slightly better than some; but as I’ve said before, there is really only one technology that makes a difference to motion: Black Frame Insertion. You’ve already said BFI gives you a headache; fine - you’re certainly not alone in that! But if you can’t tolerate BFI, I think you need to accept that nothing is going to give you the kind of motion-handling you want, and stop trying to make that a purchase criterion. Any decent TV will support 24Hz input, and that will eliminate the 3:2 judder; but I think you need to stop hoping that anything will improve things any more than that.

I don’t mind mini-LED. I used to have the Samsung QN90B which had gorgeous contrast and colours IMO, but the software was an absolute nightmare, so I ended up returning it.

In terms of motion, it’s the main factor pushing me towards buying a television in the first place. I’m personally not against some light motion interpolation as this seems to be the only solution to removing slow panning stutter in my experience. I’ve heard Sony TVs have a good algorithm for this with less artefacting than the competitors, which is why I’ve found interest in their lineup.

My own experience has been that any kind of motion interpolation does more harm than good. When it comes down to it, the television is creating whole new frames that don’t exist in the original recording, and sometimes the frames it creates won’t actually make sense, and you’ll inevitably get artefacts.

And that’s not to mention the dreaded “Soap Opera Effect” that makes a high budget film look like a cheap show recorded in a TV studio. Think of the negative reaction that films shot at 48 or 60 frames per second tend to get - it’s the same issue.

But if smoothness really matters more to you than either of those things, I guess it’s worth experimenting with. The problem you’re going to have here is that motion interpolation is so universally reviled by AV enthusiasts and reviewers that I think you’ll have trouble finding reviews that analyse it much - turning it off is usually the very first thing reviewers do. You may have to resort to finding a decent store and depending on the evidence of your own eyes; it’s just too niche a requirement for there to be much useful info online.

If you were in the UK, I would suggest posting on www.avforums.com for advice; in the US, I would recommend www.avsforum.com . Is there a South African equivalent?

Yeah, I know it’s generally disliked by the community. I prefer to use it very minimally to smooth out stutter whilst introducing as little SOE and artefacting as possible. Most modern TVs have sliders you can adjust to try tune it to your liking.

I have seen a few threads on both those sites, they’re definitely very informative. I should consider making my own posts but I might get torn apart lmao. In SA there is mybroadband.co.za where people discuss tech, but the local community isn’t usually as clued up with these kinds of things.

Hisense, for example, gets great reviews on American YouTube channels for their price to performance TVs. But the ones on sale here are locally manufactured, and even though they carry the same model number/name, often they have subpar specs, panels, operating systems etc, compared to their US counterparts. I don’t think most South Africans know this, very dodgy practice IMO.

I’ve just found this tool filmmakers can use to grade their movies for tv motion. It’s a very interesting concept but it seems it needs to be done in post-production and can’t just be ‘turned on’ with supported TVs. Apparently TCL TVs from 2022 support the standard.