Kodi music playback from playlist problem

Hello,

I posted this on the Kodi help forum and they told me to post it here because of “Kodi/OS system crashes happening”.

I am running OSMC and Kodi 19 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I made a playlist for about 500 music individual songs that are located on a USB hard drive NAS connected to my router. They are in 4 different directories and are wma, mp3, m4a or m4p files. I did this with the files approach and don’t have a library or anything extra, I just want to play back the music in a random order.

The playlist works for a while, then every so often after a dozen plays or fewer, I get the frowny face and the system restarts and goes to the main menu, terminating the playback. I’ve pasted the log file from the most recent incident at hastebin. I think from the log that incident involved an m4a file. I’ve since learned that the m4p files won’t play because of copy protection DRM and also result in a frowny face, but I thought the m4a files should be playable.

I’d appreciate any help in fixing this. I was also wondering whether the frowny face is coming from OSMC or Kodi?

You should post full logs with debugging.

The sad face means that one or more of your files are corrupt, which is causing Kodi to crash.

Kodi can play a m4a file just fine as long as there is no DRM.

Frowny Face comes from Kodi which is the main GUI system that runs on OSMC. As @sam_nazarko wrote we would need debug enabled logs (see below).

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thanks for your help. I had turned on the debug logging but didn’t know/remember to reboot. Do I need to turn on other options such as component-specific logging or event logging? For the upload, what is meant by the “log set (all configs and logs)”?

In the meantime, I’ve discovered that I can cause Kodi to crash pretty reliably by trying to play m4p files (which are DRM protected). So I will need to go through and eliminate those. I don’t think that will solve the problem based on what was in the original log, so will try to get you a better one.

No

Yes

I just wanted to provide the feedback that since I removed the DRM-protected m4p files from the playlist, I have so far not experienced any crashes. So I’m hopeful that solved the problem.

My sincere thanks to everyone for their kind and helpful advice.

1 Like