Kodi startup loop

Hi,

I’m running a RetroPie and OSMC dualboot system. My OSMC setup in as follows.

osmc@osmc:~$ uname -a
Linux osmc 4.14.26-2-osmc #1 PREEMPT Thu Mar 15 19:47:27 UTC 2018 armv6l GNU/Linux
osmc@osmc:~$ kodi --version
17.6 Media Center Kodi
Copyright (C) 2005-2013 Team Kodi - http://kodi.tv

Kodi suddenly started going into a startup loop where it would start, then the sad face blue screen, then black screen, then the sad face blue screen again.

The error is this.

Apr 25 12:30:02 osmc mediacenter[1421]: /usr/bin/mediacenter: line 142: 2409 Illegal instruction sudo -u osmc $KODI --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd
Apr 25 12:30:02 osmc mediacenter[1421]: Kodi exited with return code 132 after 0 hours, 0 minutes and 4 seconds

I did the sudo api-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade - no effect.

Here’s my journal: https://paste.osmc.tv/alolakijek

Any help would be appreciated because I don’t really feel like reinstalling everything while I believe this problem can be fixed.

Thanks,
Adriaan

It looks like it might be a corrupted file. Try this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-mediacenter-osmc

I use a Raspberry Pi 1B so I ran:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp1-mediacenter-osmc

No cigar unfortunately.

For those interested,

I fixed the problem and learned an important lesson as well.

Reading the code in /usr/bin/mediacenter I spotted that there is a way to perform a factory reset on Kodi. First press [ESC] a couple of times when the blue screen with the sad face appears. If this does not provide a login prompt press [ALT]+[F2] and login as the osmc user. Then run the following:

/home/osmc:~$ touch .factoryreset
/home/osmc:~$ sudo systemctl start mediacenter

That will start Kodi in its default config. It does however delete the .kodi directory so if you had any custom goodies in there they will be lost. I lost my script that reboots into Retropie so now I have to recreate that manually or reinstall everything from scratch.

So to prevent the same from happening to other people with similar setups I would suggest doing the following instead.

/home/osmc:~$ mv .kodi .oldkodi
/home/osmc:~$ sudo systemctl start mediacenter

That way you could restore some of the custom scripts from .oldkodi.

Greetings!

2 Likes

Actually, no need for the .factoryreset I believe. Just moving/deleting .kodi will cause a ‘reset’ of kodi.