Kodi v19 Matrix is here. Here's what you need to know - OSMC

The V4L2-M2M specification does cover 3D MVC, however there is no implementation for this on any devices.

The Raspberry Pi foundation would be expected to implement this functionality in their ffmpeg and kernel. If they do so, both LE and OSMC would support this as we both base our kernel and ffmpeg off these upstream sources provided by the Pi foundation.

But currently, as it stands, MVC isn’t supported on Pi and they have much higher priorities on the list, like getting some deinterlacing support, as watching Live TV is unusable and is more requested than 3D MVC playback.

We will make sure that 3D MVC stays working in the Vero device.

Cheers,

Sam

I don’t think Plex has ever had their own playback solution on any platform. AFAIK every Plex client uses the media playing capabilities of whatever it is sitting on which, in the case of OSMC, is Kodi.

They did have an app that I installed on my Samsung TV , which played files served by a Plex Media Server (PMS) app running on my Synology NAS. They also had (for a while) an “embedded” Plex media client that installed on x86 hardware (like OpenELEC and LibreELEC), as well as a Windows app that also played files served by PMS (which could be installed on the same PC as the Plex player app, or on a NAS or other network available device). Edit: Once I found XBMC/Kodi and some its variants I never went back to Plex. Kodi/LibreELEC/OSMC are so much lighter and easier to use/maintain IMHO…

Plex has players for quite a few platforms. What I was trying to convey was that the Players, regardless of which one, and on which platform, were handling media management and the interface, but the hardware and software that is actually decoding and presenting the audio and video is coming from an outside source and is not being done by the Plex software itself AFAIK. In this regard running the Plex add-on in Kodi is not really that much unlike running a dedicated app. Kodi is taking up resources but it is also providing part of the function to make it work. Plex running on Win/iOS/Pi OS/Android or most other common platforms is not much different other than you have a much heaver general purpose GUI sitting under it taking up the resources instead of Kodi.

When will the “official” Kodi 19 be released on the Vero 4k+ (not the beta versions)??

When it’s ready – this has been discussed previously.

1 Like

I know this is a super old article but will 3D ever come back? I have my vero in the living room but a pi2 in the bedroom for my 3D movies. I assume vero will still work with mvc even after kodi 19?

Thanks

Vero 4K/4K+ will indeed support 3D MVC out of the box with the Kodi v19 release.
Regarding Pi – it’s up to the Pi developers whether they choose to support this.

Best

Sam

Thanks it’s weird it was supported and suddenly won’t be. Gives me an excuse to get another Vero lol. Just wish I could get a new 3D tv too. I know when mine dies that’s the end of 3D for me. But love what you’re doing with the vero. Been nothing but happy with mine so far.

Team Kodi and Raspberry Pi decided to move to V4L2/GBM as a decode method. Although there is a 3D MVC specification for this approach, nothing has been implemented.

Vero 4K + supports 3D MVC out of the box with the Kodi Matrix update, so no more test builds to run it.

We’ll keep Frame Packed 3D MVC alive for at least the next generation of hardware as well.

Cheers

Sam

Oh so exciting “news” for a Monday morning… one can dream, right?

Thank you and the whole team for OSMC by the way!

No new hardware planned just yet, I’m afraid :slight_smile:

Sam

It was a big flop for me yesterday. It updated ,restated and came up OK. I tried to watch move, tv show and when I press to play, it waits a few seconds and then displays the unhappy face. I my Vero 4K+ again. same thing. I reload older version as I wanted to watch a show, not troubleshoot. I have too much on the go, so won’t update my Vero 4K+ or my other 3 pi’s running OSMC Kodi anytime soon. Reminds me of the time that I had to spin up a new pi with OSMC Kodi because, when I would go to the music section, it would just give me the unhappy face. I tried a few things, but time is short. So I have a separate Kodi device for listening to music. I run piCorePlayer for music, but it does not support multi-channel audio. I have a dew SACDs and some other sources of 5.1 music.

I’m currently running vero4k with the Kodi 18.9 2020-11 update. When I try to manually search for new update - the latest Kodi 19 from 2021-08, it does not seem to find the latest update and install it?

Any idea how can I slove it? Thanks.

I would suggest starting a new thread with some logs

Sam

Hi,

Do I need to set/update the “Display maximum luminance” or should I leave it at 100? I have a Sony X900C.
@sam_nazarko

You can experiment. The effect is quite subtle.

Your TV doesn’t have HDR so you will have to feed it SDR. SDR is mastered at a 100 nits so I guess that should be fine. However I assume your TV can do more than 100 nits and HDR can go up to 10000 nits, but normally not over 4000 nits. Play around.

I think best you can do is not download HDR movies :innocent:

Assuming that setting works the way I think it works, you should set it to whatever brightness your TV is actually capable of delivering.