Krypton update - high CPU by systemd-journald

Hi there,

Since I update to krypton yesterday my rpi3 has a high CPU usage by the systemd-journald service which I think is responsible for logging on debian:

in the system logs I see allot of this errors:

Feb 07 23:26:53 osmc mediacenter[29978]: extern "Python": function Cryptography_rand_status() called, but no code was attached to it yet with @ffi.def_extern().  Returning 0.
Feb 07 23:26:53 osmc mediacenter[29978]: extern "Python": function Cryptography_rand_bytes() called, but no code was attached to it yet with @ffi.def_extern().  Returning 0.
Feb 07 23:26:53 osmc mediacenter[29978]: extern "Python": function Cryptography_rand_status() called, but no code was attached to it yet with @ffi.def_extern().  Returning 0.
Feb 07 23:26:53 osmc mediacenter[29978]: extern "Python": function Cryptography_rand_bytes() called, but no code was attached to it yet with @ffi.def_extern().  Returning 0.

btw I also try to start fresh by renaming .kodi/ folder, but as soon as I start using it I get the behavior above.

Any idea what can cause this issue ?

Thanks!

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload some logs. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Does this relate to the slow python scripting mentioned here?

1 Like

This might be related. could also be that this is happening due to an addon, which I didn’t detected so far…
Since 1 days the issue is gone… I can’t say at the moment why …

It happens again, might be related to the slow python scripts.
In addition to this youtube is not working at all and any addon which is using youtube …

23:31:07.262 T:1686844400  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (5.3.8) on Krypton (Kodi-17.1) with Python 2.7.9
23:31:07.351 T:1686844400   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                         - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                        Error Type: <class 'urllib2.URLError'>
                                        Error Contents: <urlopen error [Errno 0] Error>
                                        Traceback (most recent call last):
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/default.py", line 7, in <module>
                                            runner.run(__provider__)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/runner.py", line 32, in run
                                            __RUNNER__.run(provider, context)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/impl/xbmc/xbmc_runner.py", line 23, in run
                                            results = provider.navigate(context)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/abstract_provider.py", line 93, in navigate
                                            result = method(context, re_match)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/register_provider_path.py", line 12, in wrapper
                                            return func(*args, **kwargs)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/provider.py", line 367, in on_play
                                            return yt_play.play_video(self, context, re_match)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/helper/yt_play.py", line 17, in play_video
                                            video_streams = client.get_video_streams(context, video_id)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/client/youtube.py", line 80, in get_video_streams
                                            video_streams = video_info.load_stream_infos(video_id)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/helper/video_info.py", line 339, in load_stream_infos
                                            return self._method_get_video_info(video_id)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/youtube/helper/video_info.py", line 538, in _method_get_video_info
                                            result = requests.get(url, params=params, headers=headers, verify=False, allow_redirects=True)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/simple_requests/api.py", line 189, in get
                                            return _request('GET', url, **kwargs)
                                          File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.youtube/resources/lib/kodion/simple_requests/api.py", line 165, in _request
                                            response = opener.open(request)
                                          File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 431, in open
                                            response = self._open(req, data)
                                          File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 449, in _open
                                            '_open', req)
                                          File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 409, in _call_chain
                                            result = func(*args)
                                          File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1240, in https_open
                                            context=self._context)
                                          File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1197, in do_open
                                            raise URLError(err)
                                        URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 0] Error>
                                        -->End of Python script error report<--
23:31:07.541 T:1958261680   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.youtube/play/?video_id=QW7_efo6NVE]

Any idea what can I do to fix this issue ?

Make sure the YouTube add-on is up to date.

Is the latest from official Kodi repo: 5.3.8
I tried to update, reset to default settings, remove and the install again nothing… still the same issue.

I had the same exact issue… systemd-journald using 100% of one CPU core.

This seems to have stopped the log abuse.
sudo -H pip install --upgrade pyopenssl