Latest upgrade broke SMB (v1 at least) on Raspberry Pi

Using fstab, was working just like a charm before the update.

Log uploaded: https://paste.osmc.tv/azacaluhiv

/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot    vfat     defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount    0   0
# rootfs is not mounted in fstab as we do it via initramfs. Uncomment for remount (slower boot)
#/dev/mmcblk0p2  /    ext4      defaults,noatime    0   0
//192.168.1.50/Data/Torrents /mnt/Torrents cifs auto,x-systemd.automount,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,rw,sec=ntlm 0 0

So, what is your smb server that you still require ntlm?

1 Like

An otherwise perfectly functionning TIme Capsule.
See FSTAB CIFS mount not working after kodi update

How old is your Airport Time Capsule?

I see a dilemma here: Since the year 2000 with Windows 2000, Microsoft switched from ntlm to Kerberos because ntlm was already considered insecure back then. That was more than 20 years ago.
Of course, everyone wants to use their devices as long as possible, but for other users, continuing to use this insecure authentication method can also pose a danger.

I don’t even know if you can write a backport patch for the current kernel. Actually, I see Apple as having a duty to provide its devices with a secure smb/cifs layer.
I think @sam_nazarko will comment as well.

It looks like we can add this patch: https://821895.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=761299 to keep SMBv1 support alive for a while.

I will introduce it soon and let you know when it’s ready for testing

I know, I know. I should probably bite the bullet and look for a second hand newer generation Time Capsule or something similar compatible with macOS/Linux (accepting recommendations here).

SMB v1 has been dropped since 5.15 (which is now the version running it the latest update).
However, I access said TC from Linux 6.3.6-200.fc38.x86_64 on occasion that has the following additions to the /etc/samba/smb.conf Global section

client min protocol = NT1
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

Since another a Vero user reported a similar issue invoiving SMB and that we’ve seen this before here, I tought I shall at least report it…

The breaking change was made in kernel 5.15; which is not deployed to Vero at this time.

You will need to wait for an updated kernel which reverts the commit.

1 Like

Hi,

I was going to re-introduce this in the July update, but there’s no point. I can see it becoming more broken and it won’t be re-introduced in 6.x kernels which we will move to for Pi for the next Kodi release.

As a result, I’d suggest sticking with an older release of OSMC or updating your SMBv1 device if it is really necessary.

Thank you for taking the time and the ongoing outstanding support Sam (and the broader OSMC community)!
I moved all my media files to an HFS+ external HDD…