LCD HD44780 support?

Is there going to be support to use LCD/VFD screens?

@mike390 its there , its buried but its there .
The path is : settings , add ons , get add ons ,kodi add on repository , services , xbmc LCDproc.

However I’m having trouble installing LCDproc via ssh currently. Telling me the package is missing !!

Are you using a RPI2?
Could be that the LCDProc program is not in the debian-armhf repositories.
You could try to get it from the raspbian jessie repository instead.

im still on model b . i was trying to use the tutorial on andypi.co.uk . It worked using raspbmc.

anything new? got the same issue with my model b. lcdproc wont install.

Fixing lcdproc configuration...
Warning in 'server DriverPath' value '/home/pi/lcdproc/': missing DriverPath dir (code is: ' defined $_ ? -d : 1')
Can't exec "/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture": No such file or directory at (eval 73) line 1, <GEN0> line 2404.
cannot run dpkg-architecture at (eval 73) line 2, <GEN0> line 2404.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in scalar chomp at (eval 73) line 3, <GEN0> line 2404.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in concatenation (.) or string at (eval 73) line 4, <GEN0> line 2404.
Can't exec "/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture": No such file or directory at (eval 75) line 1, <GEN0> line 2404.
cannot run dpkg-architecture at (eval 75) line 2, <GEN0> line 2404.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in scalar chomp at (eval 75) line 3, <GEN0> line 2404.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in concatenation (.) or string at (eval 75) line 4, <GEN0> line 2404.
Can't exec "/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture": No such file or directory at (eval 129) line 1.
cannot run dpkg-architecture at (eval 129) line 2.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in scalar chomp at (eval 129) line 3.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in concatenation (.) or string at (eval 129) line 4.
Can't exec "/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture": No such file or directory at (eval 131) line 1.
cannot run dpkg-architecture at (eval 131) line 2.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in scalar chomp at (eval 131) line 3.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in concatenation (.) or string at (eval 131) line 4.

Changes applied to lcdproc configuration:
- server DriverPath: '/home/pi/lcdproc/' -> '/usr/lib//lcdproc/' # applied fix

Can't exec "/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture": No such file or directory at (eval 134) line 1.
cannot run dpkg-architecture at (eval 134) line 2.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in scalar chomp at (eval 134) line 3.
Use of uninitialized value $triplet in concatenation (.) or string at (eval 134) line 4.
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults

Hello.

I have same problem like @Ryan1nja

I’m using Rpi Modell B (512) rev2, and yes if we using old RaspBMC built
then LCD HD44780 work well.

If using OSMC Kodi built the LCD display is blank, not show a line of white blocks.

Also i see it how trying to install Lcdproc

"Can’t exec “/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture”: No such file or directory at (eval 122)

line 1, line 5"

"Can’t exec “/usr/bin/dpkg-architecture”: No such file or directory at (eval 122)

line 1, line 5"

But kodi using DriverPath=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lcdproc/
instead of /usr/lib//lcdproc/.

maybe cause the problem?
no way to get it work, or any new guide for new kodi built?

I am not linux guru, but someone can help us ?
I would really appreciate.
(and sorry my bad English)

@szalay, I was trying to connect a LCD display using i2c. Also, I couldn’t install lcdproc properly until I installed gcc and dpkg. See this topic to solve that: LCD through i2c

@mcobit claims to have one connected, but he/she used one GPIO pin for every LCD control pin, so mcobit connected the LCD without using i2c, only using GPIO, which lets you only a few pins available for other proposes (like IR remote, or control buttons).

I don’t know what’s going wrong, but it has been two months since I tried to connect the display, and I don’t remember much of what I did.

I wish this could help you.

@fraret Thank you your reply !

Yeah my next project the using "i2c serial interface protocol ", but currently i want using “normal”
method vai PGIO’s to working my LCD HD44780 first.

“mcobit” how to get large LCDd.conf, he manually edited all ?

mine is by default after installed:

[server]
DriverPath=/usr/lib/lcdproc/

NextScreenKey=Right
PrevScreenKey=Left
ReportToSyslog=yes
ToggleRotateKey=Enter

[menu]
DownKey=Down
EnterKey=Enter
MenuKey=Escape
UpKey=Up

Here my GPIO’s it work with lircd, on Raspbmc built.
D7=22
D6=27
D5=17
D4=23
RS=25
EN=24

I really need install lcdproc-extra-drivers for non i2c ?
and ConnectionType=raspberrypi >>for Rpi1 B modell too, or only Rpi2 ?

I also edited to DriverPath=/home/osmc/lcdproc/ = i did put .so file
but won’t show.

I guess “mcobit” got it work LCD on Rpi2 not Rpi1 B modell

Also works with the B1. With the right hd47780.so.
Needed to install build-essential and some other stuff though so that the lcdproc dpkg configuration is happy.
Don’t know exactly where I got the driverlib from though. There are numerous download locations if you google for them. Had to try a few.
I got this configuration file from a tutorial on LCDd.

@ mcobit thanks your help :slight_smile:

finally i got it work my LCD HD44780 on Rpi B rev2 using OSMC Kodi built

Not simple steps, and few not really clean me, but working.

@szalay ,
could you run through the steps you made to get it working ?
I still haven’t worked mine out yet !!

I moved a post to a new topic: [Howto] LCD HD44780

Can you help with a step by step guide on how you got it working on the Raspberry pi 2.
It would help so many people and also me.
Thank you