Libgtk-3-common error - cannot install any packages

Hello Folks,

I am struggling with a libgtk-3-common issue (see attached file) which doesn’t go away. I have tried “apt-get install -f” but to no away.

libgtk-3-0: Depends: libgtk-3-common (>=3.14.5-1…) but it is not going to be installed

I have tried installing libgtk-3-common but it doesn’t go through.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I cannot update/upgrade the distr either.

cheers

Please provide full logs.
Why would you need gtk3?

I don’t recall specifically trying to install it - and frankly have no need for it. However this error doesn’t let me install anything else now - it has just messed up with the package manager.

Unfortunately away from my system this week - and have no logs. However, I guess this should be a generic debian issue - what does one do when faced with such package manager issues?

Uninstall any packages that pull in libgtk and then remove libgtk.

apt-cache depends <some_package>
apt-cache rdepends <some_package>

There is a bloody circular dependency between packages - adwaita-icon-theme, libgtk-3-bin, libgtk-3-common and libgtk-3-0. I cannot install or uninstall anything now. Is there a workaround for this?

This came with the upgrade that I did a few days ago

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ uname -a
Linux osmcAdi 4.4.6-3-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 1 20:55:03 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-cache depends adwaita-icon-theme
adwaita-icon-theme
Depends: hicolor-icon-theme
Depends: libgtk-3-bin
Depends: librsvg2-common
Breaks: gnome-themes-standard-data
Replaces: gnome-themes-standard-data
osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-cache rdepends adwaita-icon-theme
adwaita-icon-theme
Reverse Depends:
simple-scan
gnome-core
libgtk-3-common
gnome-themes-standard-data
osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-cache rdepends libgtk-3-common
libgtk-3-common
Reverse Depends:
gnome-core
libgtk-3-dev
libgtk-3-bin
libgtk-3-0-dbg
libgtk-3-0
gtk-3-examples
gtk-3-examples
gir1.2-gtk-3.0

So have you tried to uninstall all the dependcies that are listed there?

Can’t - cannot uninstall a single package mate. I cannot execute any apt-get commands without this error - no upgrades, no installs/removes

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-get remove gnome-core
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package ‘gnome-core’ is not installed, so not removed
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk-3-bin : Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.14.5-1+deb8u1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk-3-common (>= 3.14.5-1+deb8u1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

So also no package that is still installed?
Maybe first figure out what gtk package are still installed
dpkg -l | grep gtk

Yeah. Sorry i pasted the wrong example but here you go:-

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ dpkg -l | grep gtk
ii libdbusmenu-gtk3-4:armhf 12.10.2-1 armhf library for passing menus over DBus - GTK+ version
hU libgtk-3-bin 3.14.5-1+deb8u1 armhf programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-get remove libgtk-3-bin
Building dependency tree
adwaita-icon-theme : Depends: libgtk-3-bin but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution). : Depends: libgtk-3-bin but it is not going to be installed

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-cache rdepends adwaita-icon-theme
adwaita-icon-theme
Reverse Depends:
simple-scan
gnome-core
libgtk-3-common
gnome-themes-standard-data

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-get remove adwaita-icon-theme
Building dependency tree
libgtk-3-bin : Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.14.5-1+deb8u1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk-3-common (>= 3.14.5-1+deb8u1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-get remove libgtk-3-common
Building dependency tree
Package ‘libgtk-3-common’ is not installed, so not removed

So if sudo apt-get -f install doesn’t bring you a solution I guess your way forward is a complete new install

That is what I feared.

Any way to backing up my installed add-ons/repositories/settings to be used with the fresh image?

Either use the backup option from MyOSMC or just copy your .kodi folder

Awesome - thanks a lot

You can edit dpkg status file and trick Dpkg into thinking this hasn’t been installed

You could also use dpkg --remove instead of apt

Man you are a genius !

I did the following

1. dpkg --remove libgtk-3-bin

2. edited /var/lib/dpkg/status and remove the lines for adwaita-icon-theme

phew!

I verified that i can install packages! Hope a new upgrade will bring better experience

osmc@osmcAdi:~$ sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
Building dependency tree
The following extra packages will be installed:
libasound2-plugins libasyncns0 libavcodec56 libavresample2 libavutil54 libfftw3-single3 libflac8 libgomp1 libgsm1 libice6 libjack-jackd2-0 libjson-c2 libltdl7 libmp3lame0
libopenjpeg5 libopus0 liborc-0.4-0 libpulse0 libpulsedsp libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsm6 libsndfile1 libspeex1 libspeexdsp1 libtheora0 libva1 libvpx1 libwebrtc-audio-processing-0
libx11-xcb1 libx264-142 libxtst6 libxvidcore4 pulseaudio-utils x11-common
Suggested packages:
libfftw3-bin libfftw3-dev jackd2 opus-tools speex pavumeter pavucontrol paman paprefs
Recommended packages:
va-driver-all va-driver pulseaudio-module-x11 rtkit
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libasound2-plugins libasyncns0 libavcodec56 libavresample2 libavutil54 libfftw3-single3 libflac8 libgomp1 libgsm1 libice6 libjack-jackd2-0 libjson-c2 libltdl7 libmp3lame0
libopenjpeg5 libopus0 liborc-0.4-0 libpulse0 libpulsedsp libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsm6 libsndfile1 libspeex1 libspeexdsp1 libtheora0 libva1 libvpx1 libwebrtc-audio-processing-0
libx11-xcb1 libx264-142 libxtst6 libxvidcore4 pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils x11-common
0 upgraded, 35 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Need to get 9519 kB of archives.
After this operation, 28.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

Don’t install PulseAudio like that. See testing forum.

I’m stuck with the exact same circular dependency like OP but dpkg --remove libgtk-3-bin doesn’t work due to dependencies and to me it’s not clear what the “edited /var/lib/dpkg/status and remove the lines for adwaita-icon-theme” would be about. cat status | grep -v adwaita-icon-theme > status.new?

Also gnome depends on adwaita-icon-theme. Didn’t want to trash gnome in the process. I’m confused here.

Edit the status file and set the package to configured for libgtk3-bin?

You can tweak status to fix this, but it might be easier for you to just reinstall.

I’m reinstalling already. My brother also suggested to do so. Thanks and sorry for noise.