Library scan very slow.. then fails to update

Hello All .

I have been having some problems over the last couple of days and I hope someone can help. I have a fresh install of the latest release 2018.03-2 and have imported my most recent backup of the database files and I am still unable to successfully add any new content to the library. The scan takes an unusually long period of time to complete (even when selecting a single folder to scan contents using the context menu) and then finishes without adding any new content. Debug logs are below. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Duke

https://paste.osmc.tv/oyosarifec

If the content you’re trying to scan into the library is TV content and Kodi is set to use TheTVDB it won’t work right now. Although the website is available they are having issues with the api which accepts requests from scrapers, like the one in Kodi.

If you’re having trouble with non-TV content or using a scraper other that the TheTVDB one… I’m sure someone more familiar with troubleshooting will chime in quickly…

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

UPDATE: I Just tested with Movie and Music content and both are functioning normally. @Phydeaux - is there somewhere specifically I can go to get updated information on this issue?

Ah, thank you @Phydeaux.

I was not aware of that. The content I am scanning is indeed TV Show content. I will try some other types to make sure it is only TV content which fails.

Thanks again.

Duke

Kind of annoying but I guess it points out the reliance on a single entity.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been adding a few TV series lately to my library which I had previously just accessed in file mode when this outage began. After a bit of reading I became aware of a new alternate scraper in the official Kodi repository called Xem. I installed and switched a couple of my sources to use it and, knock on wood, it’s returned perfect data so far. Might be worth a try if only as an interim fix until TheTVDB is back…

Cheers,
Robert

UPDATE: Sadly, Xem does not seem to be returning any results in my scans. Further digging reveals Xem eventually gets its data from TheTVDB after resolving episode numbering elsewhere. Perhaps your luck was due to timing, @Phydeaux?

Thanks again @Phydeaux. That is very helpful. I will give Xem a shot in the interim, at least.

Cheers,
Duke

Ha! I was just about to send this additional note when I saw your comment…

XEM is working correctly even though TheTVDB api is down… But TheTVDB website has just now been intermittent and when IT’S down XEM fails, so it must utilizing the web somehow. I’ve yet to have it fail to scape correctly on about 30 less than popular TV series (oddball documentary ones).

There IS a config option in the XEM addon which you can change away from TheTVDB but I haven’t tried that at all.

If XEM fails, see if you can successfully go to the TheTVDB website, that seems to be the only reason it has failed for me.

I’m actively scanning TV series now as I add them to my source.

Cheers
Robert

EDIT: TheTVDB Website just went “503 Service Unavailable” here so the problems are beyond the API not functioning it seems.

@Phydeaux

I went through all the available settings in the config panel of Xem and there aren’t many… (basically just where to direct Xem for its episode numbering, Absolute numbering and enabling fanart) and tried with a single program entry (via Context menu->Scan for new content) on non obscure programs and still no luck I’m afraid. TheTVDB website is fine here, but I did find this discussion on the TVDB forums:

https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46729

And this link to check the status of the API:

Hopefully these can help others looking to follow this issue.

Duke

Interesting, Duke. You say the website was definitely up when your Xem failed? Did you do a lookup on it or just the main web page? In both instances when Xem failed I either couldn’t bring up the TheTVDB web page or it loaded slowly from cache and I wasn’t able to do a lookup. In both cases, less than 5 minutes later both the webpage worked and Xem worked.

LOL, those poor folks at TheTVDB must be getting hammered… How many Media Center products rely on them worldwide…?!

Cheers,
Robert

Yes. TheTVBD website was up (main page and a lookup) when the scan with Xem failed to return updates, then the site crashed (now back up again but scanning still failing, at least, here). To be clear, Xem is not reporting a “failure” it is simply ending its scan and not adding any new entries to the database on program folders that clearly have new content. I am not sure why Xem would work for you and not me but, stranger things… I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Yes, I would imagine there is a great deal of demand.

Duke

Pretty sure it’s just thetvdb that’s down. Worked fine yesterday and no changes whatsoever