Lightning bolt symbol power with the GPIO

Hello (sorry for my english I’m french)

I’ve made a NAS an an FTP server with my raspberry pi 3 and OSMC.
It works very good but I would like to save all my data (which are that I share with samba) in a second external hard drive and regurlarly with crontab.
I have read a french tutorial and they say that I cannot power the rasp with the µUSB because it restrict the intensity and it cause an I/O error. So they say that we must power by the GPIO. I buy tow stable power supply (5V 2A → 10W then an other 5V 8A → 40W). They can run the rasp but I have a yellow lightning bolt on the right top corner and when i plug just one external hard drive it don’t works, the red LED is blinking. (I haven’t test with the second HDD but I think it will be worst).

Is in fact the intensity restricted too by the GPIO ?

If I’m reading this right, you have an external drive connected to the Pi via USB, and you are trying to power the Pi via a power supply directly connected to the GPIO pins. If that’s so, I don’t think thats a good idea. If I remember correctly, connecting power to the GPIO pins bypasses the fuses in the Pi, so you are in danger to having an Overcooked Pi on your hands :crying_cat_face:

Instead, just get a good quality powered USB hub and connect the external drive to that, and for the Pi’s power, use the original Pi power supply.

That means the input voltage drops below 5V which also means your powersupply is not working as it should.
I suggest you buy the official powersupply from the OSMC store.
But also if you want to run 2 Harddisk on the pi it most likely is best to run them on a powered hub.

Buy this. Problem solved. For best results use a powered hub and an official power supply.

What model of powersupply do you have?

I am powering multiple osmc pis with this configuration.

Be sure to have the supply adjusted correctly.
Also do not use cheap jumperwires to connect the psu to your raspberry. Use thick cabeling preferably directly soldered to the gpios.

It is true that the fuse will be bypassed, but if you do your homework on the inputside and you have a stable 5V supply it should not matter.

You are only in danger of frying the 5v lines of the pi if you create a short on said lines as the psu will happily output 8A what will make the traces melt.

You could consider to directly solder the psu output to the testpads pre polyfuse though.

What I also did was to connect the usb datalines to an usb connector seperate to the pi and giving this port the 5V and Gnd feom the psu directly. So then the usb gadget might die but not the pi.

There are a lit of different options to power the pi. If you don’t know anything about electronics, go with a good usb supply and a thick microusbcable for safety.