Limited color range : bug [ SOLVED ]

Hello,

I noticed a potentially problematic bug with the limited/full color range switch in the OSMC display setting : despite enabling / disabling the option, the color range sent to the display device is always limited

Here’s a picture I took to illustrate the issue ( option is disabled, but the display’s signal infos confirms that the range is still limited ) :

NB : needless to mention, my display monitor has limited and full range capabilities

What device are you using?

Did you try rebooting?

OSMC is running on a Vero 4K

I did try rebooting, the range is still limited.

Please post logs.

Yes, sure.

Which logs do you need (for the problem I’m describing ), and what is the procedure to fetch them ?

Please upload all logs via My OSMC

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Did the setting stick? If not, try just setting full-range and then switching resolution to make HDMI re-set.

We’ll know once we see the logs.

I enabled logging, and then proceeded to disable the limited color range settings ( and in the end the monitor’s signal still indicates that the range is limited )

Here are the logs :

https://paste.osmc.tv/********

I also took photos to show the signal’s infos in both cases

The setting did stick.

But, out of curiosity, I also did try what you mentionned, but that didn’t work : range is still limited after a resolution change :neutral_face:

( when toggling the option, the screen always go black for 1s, which probably means that the HDMI resets takes place )

As an example, here’s what the user’s menu looks like when the monitor receives a signal with full range colors :

I don’t think your monitor supports full-range when receiving a YCC signal.

Try setting the output to RGB and re-starting Kodi (Power->Exit).

It works when setting RGB mode ON :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks !

Does it categorizes as a bug then ? ( Having the limited range OFF, while the option is silently ON because of a limitation when using YCC is misleading )

Nothing we can do about it. There is no way for a display to signal to a source whether it’s in full-range or limited range mode. Please see here:

You haven’t explained why you want to output full-range video. We recommend you use limited range. We also recommend you set your GUI resolution to 1080p. Vero will still output 4k videos as 4k if you set Adjust refresh rate to On start/stop in Settings->Player->Videos.

Thanks for your reply.

The description of the limited range option states : “[…] if your display is a PC monitor then leave this disabled

Since my display IS a PC monitor, I followed the instructions.

As for the GUI, I didn’t know that it was recommended to set it to 1080p ( I always use the native resolution of my monitor to avoid blurry texts )

Hmmm. I guess we’d better make that clearer. It was probably written in the days before ‘PC’ monitors had HDMI and YCC support. The wiki page I linked gives a fuller explanation of the options.

You won’t see a difference with the GUI texts since everything is rendered at 1080 and just scaled up. Navigation should be snappier at the lower resolution, but a big reason for sticking to 1080p (which doesn’t apply to you, I think) is AVRs usually don’t advertize support for 4k resolution when the display is turned off, so the resolution can fall back to 1080p anyway.

HTH