LIRC files location

I’ve been trying to configure LIRC for a remote which isn’t in the list of pre-configured remotes.
I’ve created lircd.conf, and successfully added it to the list and selected it for use.
I have also created a keyboard.xml, a remote.xml, and an lircmap.xml:

/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Lircmap.xml /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml
I’m using a Pi1A for testing, but I haven’t updated it for a while (so as to have a stable basis for comparison)
I note that only certain keys get properly actioned, as if my special files aren’t there - but the kodi log error messages suggests that they are found.
On trying to load selected files to the SD card, I get a file which contains messages suggesting that the keyboard.xml and remote.xml are not found - so perhaps there is something I don’t understand about the location requirements.
Could I have an informed comment, please, as I don’t know whether the manual has been re-written (but not documented) or what.
Derek

I have a partial answer to my query.
The filenames/location quoted are correct, but don’t always get actioned after a reboot -sometimes I have to make as if changing one a couple of times (with reboots added) before the new version takes effect. There are still oddities with some keys which I cannot explain.
I can post files and logs if it helps anyone.
I’m now working with Pi1A and a clean install, updated up to yesterday pm.
Derek