LiveTV Video Stuttering after May Update

This morning I changed the source to 720p 60Hz and now it’s fine. I guess I can live with that for now, but it seems like the H264 decoder in conjunction with LiveTV is chocking on 1080p 60Hz. I’m happy to keep doing testing though.

I feel like I should explain my setup a bit. It’s probably unusual even for someone in the US. Because the US has such a fetish around copy protection, many cable companies encrypt all their channels and then set a little flag (the CCI byte) telling DVRs what they can do with the recordings. Unfortunately to use any other CCI byte besides COPY FREELY DVRs have to go through a very expensive certification process with Cablelabs, so only Windows Media Center did that. So to get some of my channels I have a cable box using component out going to a Hauppauge HD-PVR that converts that analog signal into a digital stream again. NextPVR is able to control that to do channel changes via a remote blaster. It’s the channels going through the HD-PVR that end up H264, and I don’t have any real control over that conversion. What I did to reduce it to 720p was change the cable box to only output 720p instead of 1080i (the HD-PVR must convert that to 1080p when redigitizing).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for suggestions, and I’m still hoping we can figure out what’s going on.

@pkscout i believe that if you are installing the July update, your issue with LiveTV at 1080p will be solved.
I had the same issue and it magically disappeared after July update.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Oddly my issue reappeared with the July update. It had been fixed in the previous update.

¯\__(ツ)_/¯

I’ve also been noticing stutters/skipping frames with TvHeadend where it wasn’t doing it previously. Happy to provide a debug log if it’ll help when I get home tonight.

Are there any updates and/or progress with this?
I am still experiencing sticking/stuttering with LiveTV. Would it be helpful to provide debug logs?

Can you update to the staging repository? The issue should be solved now.

1 Like

Thanks Sam! Sorry how do I update to the staging repository?

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

1 Like

Thanks i’ll update and do some testing. I’ll give feedback on what I find.

Actually – you’ll want to stay off the staging repository for now, as it contains elements for Linux 4.9.

Oh… Too late :slightly_frowning_face:.
Is there an easy way to revert? And should I?

Are you sure you updated?
Is your system booting?

Please post a log.

I’m pretty sure that I updated successfully.
My Vero4k seemed to boot up fine and the LiveTV issue seemed to be gone…
I did get a sad face after stopping a liveTV stream so maybe that was related to the staging repository?

More than happy to post a log, but I’ll have to do it when I get home from work tonight.

Let me know

Sam

1 Like

OK here are some debug logs. Was literally getting them as you posted :wink:
https://paste.osmc.tv/paqemagaje

That’s fine – just don’t update to staging again for now.

1 Like

OK thanks Sam. I have removed the staging repository from /etc/apt/sources.list so I shouldn’t update to staging again.

Hi Sam, since I updated to the staging repository I have watched quite a bit of live tv and the issue appears to have been resolved! It is a pleasure to watch Live TV again :slightly_smiling_face:.
Thank you for your work on this.

Glad to hear this. Thanks for confirming.

1 Like