Location of Recordings and EPG question

The 2nd line below the NAS mount is:
tmpfs 75104 0 75104 0% /run/user/1000

So if you issue touch /mnt/test.fileon your pi
can you then go to the NAS and see test.file had been created?

I get a touch: cannot touch ‘/mnt/test.file’: Permission denied.

Just to make sure, because I don’t have a good grasp of the file/directory structure, I can only cd to mnt if I am in osmc@osmc:/$

OK.

You probably need to mount the NAS with RW permission. This is why the recordings are not being saved.

This is the syntax I used to get a successful mount.

//192.168.1.3/Public/LiveTV /mnt cifs guest, uid-1000 0 0

Can this be modified to generate R/W permissions?

Thanks again

Pass rw as an option.

Change this to
//192.168.1.3/Public/LiveTV /mnt cifs guest,rw,uid-1000 0 0

Still get the permission denied message.

I also tried “'noperm” instead of “rw” but still got permission denied.

Thanks to you guys at least I know why TVHeadend is not writing.

You may need to authenticate for RW access.

But the /mnt directory is owned by root. So make a /home/osmc/mnt directory instead as OSMC user and adjust fstab to mount there. Then it should work

Ok I created /home/osmc/mnt and changed the etc/fstab file to read:
//nas IP address/Public/LiveTV /home/osmc/mnt cifs quest,rw, uid-1000 0 0

I verified via “df” that the NAS was mounted and it was.

I then entered:
osmc@osmc:~$ touch /home/osmc/mnt/test.file

Error returned:
touch: cannot touch ‘/home/osmc/mnt/testfile’: Permission denied

CORRECTION:

If I entered sudo touch /home/osmc/mnt/test.file I do NOT get an error and a file IS created.

did not know I had to enter 'sudo" for that command.

I changed the TVHeadend/backend “Recording System Path” to “/home/osmc/mnt” and saved that configuration.

I started up a KODI client and tried to record. The client showed it was recording but there still is no file in “MyBookLive/Public/LiveTV”

Getting closer

OSMC runs TVHeadend as ‘osmc’ user.

You need to make sure it’s mount as UID/GID 1000.

Try sudo chown -R osmc:osmc /home/osmc/mnt.

Try
//nas IP address/Public/LiveTV /home/osmc/mnt cifs guest,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777, uid-1000 0 0

Did you misspell guest as quest in your fstab or only in your post??

BINGO! The misspelling was only in my post not in fstab

However, the syntax you provided WORKS.

Thanks Dilligaf, Sam, ActionA for sticking with me on this. Rock solid recording.

Now I’ll work on getting the EPG working. I try not to bother the group on this but, as you can see, my Windows skills don’t help me in Linux one iota.

Thanks again guys

Glad you got this working

Sam

Could not have done it without the help of you guys. Thanks again

For the EPG, are you in the US?

If so you will likely do better getting EPG data from a listing service rather than OTA, which mostly only shows the current program and the next few hours.

There is a very useful script that can scrape TVGuide.com and create a file (xmltv.xml) that can be piped into TVHeadend.

http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

You’ll need perl (Perl - Debian Wiki) to run the script, and something to pipe xmltv.xml into TVHeadend. I use socat (standard debian package)

I have my own script which runs the following commands (“-z” specifies TVGuide.com instead of zap2it.com, “-S 1” adds a delay to prevent errors due to too many web page requests too fast)

perl ~/zap2xml.pl -z -S 1 -u TVGuide_user@mail.com -p TVGuide_password -o ~/xmltv.xml -c ~/cache

sudo socat ~/xmltv.xml UNIX-CONNECT:/home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/epggrab/xmltv.sock

Yes I am in the USA I do have a zap2it account and did get zap2xml running on my windows machine and generated an xml file.

Perl, pipe to smltv.xml, socat…leaves me in the dust.

I will research all the great information you posted but I sure stumble when it comes to Linux. Writing 8 core true multitasking assembly programs is a slam dunk for me but Linux remains something just short of Klingon.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some direction.