Long press support on the OSMC remote

Depending on how you re-mapped it, you should be able to just hold down to lower / raise volume.

Strange, because I’ve never got this to work as you describe.
I’ve mapped it in the ‘Global’ section through the Kodi Key-map addon.

Under /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps i have a file named ‘gen.xml’ containg the following information:

<keymap><global><keyboard><key id="227">volumeup</key><key id="226">volumedown</key></keyboard></global></keymap>

Putting device into suspend mode by long pressing “Stop” button please.

1 Like

This function would be a good addition, however in a sample of just one I would say using the home button for it might be better for WAF (that’s what she who must be obeyed says anyway lol)

Hi Sam,

Sounds good, however I rely on the volume keys as my vero is connected to a PC monitor, with audio via 3.5mm.

If holding down the Volume Up or Down keys counted as a long press, altering the volume would become very tedious (requiring multiple single button presses).

Best regards,
RR

1 Like

:slight_smile: maybe customizable options from the suggestions above?

so we can choose if we want mute or sdby or … or not per button?

cr

:wink:

1 Like

Yes – I’m sure it could be made configurable.
My goal here was to seek out some sane defaults

Sam

1 Like

I’m trying to map long press on the OSMC RF remote to turn off the TV. Something like this:

<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <key id="37" mod="longpress">CECStandby</key>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

I’m guessing mod="longpress" doesn’t work currently?

Long press is currently supported with eventlircd

@sam_nazarko - can we now configure long press button inputs through the keymap editor? I am unfamiliar with eventlircd.
THanks

It’s a bit involving to set up currently, I think we’ll set some sane defaults instead.

Sam

What is the status of this actually? I would like to bind a long press on the home button to put the device to standy.

How can I do this? I’m not afraid to dive into some obscure config file if needed :slight_smile:

From what I can tell, it seems the mentioned defaults here are not implemented yet?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I’m using the osmc remote on a vero4k

This is what I want to be able to do, but doesn’t work unfortunately.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
    <Home>
        <remote>
            <start>Back</start>
            <start mod="longpress">Suspend</start>
        </remote>
    </Home>
</keymap>

But currently, as soon as I press Home (when in home) it goes to standby. It never executes the Back.

I actually have a lot of overrides in that file so the Home button actually goes to home when inside an addon or another screen. This should be the default IMO.

That’s because the remote has to use eventlircd.

And there is no way around it? I’ve read some posts about disabling eventlircd and having it fallback to keyboard mode, but I’m not sure what the drawbacks are.

Not all keys will work as expected if that is done

We will rework the remote system to support this eventually

Sam

Hello,

Any update regarding the long press configuration?
Is it possible to configure it somehow using the official OSMC remote?
I’m not afraid of digging in the configurations over CLI.

Thank you.

Hi,

We have added long press support for OSMC RF 2.5 (new model).
We will backport long press support for the older models as well shortly.

Sam

Nice, I received my Vero 4k+ 2 weeks ago.

How do I know if the remote is the new model? And if it is how should I configure it?
I tried it using a keymap.xml file but it had not worked.