Long press volume up/down with 1st version OSMC-remote

Hello,
I have the the first version of the OSMC-remote without the dedicated volume buttons and I have therefore mapped the ff & rw buttons to control volume up/down with the Kodi Key-Map editor addon.

It was my understanding that this would make it possible to long press volume up/down for adjusting volume instead of having to press it like 50 times. I’ve searched the forums looking for ways to achieve this but it seems that it is not technical possible for whatever reasons that goes over my head, something about repeat filters (?)

I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this, Sam has commented earlier that it should be able to work this way, but why my setup won’t work this way is beyond me.

I’ve mapped the buttons in the ‘Global’ section through the Kodi Key-map addon.

Under /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps i have a file named ‘gen.xml’ containg the following information:

<keymap><global><keyboard><key id="227">volumeup</key><key id="226">volumedown</key></keyboard></global></keymap>

Thanks in advance!

Long press isn’t supported at the moment but Sam is working on it.

When long press works, having volume up/down using long press should be doable too.

Ok, thanks for your input. I guess I’ll have to wait for any news regarding long press then.
Cheers!

Is there an update on this yet?

I’m in the same situation as the OP.
I have 3 Vero 4k’s, each with a gen 1 OSMC Remote and I’ve remapped my FF and REW buttons to volume up/down as many others have.

I can confirm that still there is no auto repeat on those buttons, so volume changes are VERY painful.

Auto repeat works by default in other button presses.

Hi,

Unfortunately we will need to introduce these changes in a new hardware revision until we can rework the remote subsystem for My OSMC 2.0. The reason being that the keymap does not translate in to native Kodi actions, so needs remapping which is handled by eventlircd.

You could remove the eventlircd mapping so it skips this processing layer, but it may be too complicated for users to configure manually.

Sam

You could try to remap the “Up” and “Down” buttons for volume adjustments. You can configure these so that volume only gets set during playback so the “Up” and “Down” buttons have a normal function during menu navigation.

keymap.xml

<keymap>
	<fullscreenvideo>
		<keyboard>
			<key id="166">volumeup</key>
			<key id="167">volumedown</key>
		</keyboard>
	</fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>
1 Like

After the March update this is now working like I wanted. I just had to remap the volume up/down to the FF/RW-button again using the Kodi Key-Map editor addon. This feauture has increased the OSMC/Kodi user experience by like 75% for me :smiley: A big THANK YOU to all the people that made this possible.

3 Likes