Lost Deluge file permissions with March Update

Hi,

I’ve been running OSMC on a Pi3 alongside Deluge. Since the latest update deluge has lost permission to write to the folders that it uses. I only have one user running on the Pi (osmc).

Any suggestions how I can restore the priveliges?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Don’t know how this could be the fault of the upgrade since you are the only complainant… What is the location of the deluge folders.

It’s an external hard drive connected through one of the USB ports on the Pi3

And my question is still -

Your post lacks sufficient detail for anyone to give you a reasoned and concise answer.

1. How do you know it has “lost permission”? You don’t show us any details.
  2. As ActionA has said, what folder(s) is is no longer writing to? Please provide something more concrete.
  3. “Lost permission” probably means Deluge no longer has write permission but it could also have been a change of owner to the directory. Can you offer any details?
  4. I don’t have Deluge installed myself but it is quite possible that it runs under its own userid and not under osmc.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response and I’m sorry that I haven’t provided sufficient info. In order of your questions;

1 & 2) For the downloding file, Deluge now dislays “Permission denied: /media/Hard Drive/Downloads/ActiveDownloads/”. There is also an error status on the downloading bar

1. Whilst OSMC has a number of users, I have not added any new ones. Deluge has bee nset up to run through the OSMC user. When I’ve listed users there is, however, one named deluge-daemon

2. See above

Do let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Deluge is likely trying to start before the drive has been mounted… I have no idea how you have configured deluge to start, possibly adding a sleep 20 to whatever startup method you are using would work.

Alternatively, ps aux | grep deluge should show you what user deluge runs as, ls -la /media will show you who owns the mounted drive. You may be wiser to mount the hdd in /mnt with a line in fstab. I personally would not depend on automounting to work reliably when setting up a torrent box like this. Not sure if an fstab mount would be faster than an automount on boot, but could be…

OK run ls -la /media/Hard Drive/Downloads
and ls -la /home/XXXX/.config/deluge where XXXX is your home directory name

Edit: ActionA beat me to it and had better suggestions, as well. :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, I believe that it is telling me that Deluge is running as user “osmc” whilst the hard drive is mounted as user “root” (please let me know if I am wrong about this). Here’s what I got in response to your commands

Last login: Fri Mar 24 18:55:59 2017 from 192.168.1.15
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ps aux | grep deluge
osmc       339  1.5  3.6  30104 27100 ?        Ss   18:34   1:53 /usr/bin/python                           /usr/bin/deluge-web
osmc       340 12.4  4.7  65724 35488 ?        Ssl  18:34  15:00 /usr/bin/python                           /usr/bin/deluged -d
osmc     13584  0.0  0.0   2156   564 pts/0    S+   20:35   0:00 grep deluge
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ls -la /media
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Mar 24 08:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Oct 30 17:53 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  232 Feb 29  2016 README

There is no HDD mounted in /media there…

Provide grab-logs -A please.

Hope it helps and thanks

http://paste.osmc.io/xuyemobero

Is your HDD even plugged in? Is it still alive? It’s not even recognized by system.

Does it still work on another computer?

Disconnected the hard drive from OSMC and connected to laptop and nothing happened. Unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back in and everything is now okay.

It appears that the old “turn it off and turn it back on again” was the answer.

Thank you ActionA and thank you dillthedog. Your patience dealing with this noob is astounding and I really appreciate you giving up your time to sort it out. I shall now retire redfaced to watch Big Buck Bunny and other open source videos that I have downloaded.

Thanks again,
Steve

Enjoy your Jack Sparrow films…

1 Like