Lots of traffic to osmc even when not in use

I’ve noticed this for a while … Powered up but just sitting at the main screen, not in use. OSMC seems to have a lot of traffic coming into it

This is from the Unifi topology view with Internet traffic display turned on.

Amount goes up and down, but is pretty consistent. And specifically, this is “internet” traffic, so not necessarily from the local media server etc. Tends to vary between 5-10Mb/s

I can understand bursts here and there, but consistent ?

What have you got installed on your device? Any Kodi addons?

Is your device accessible from outside of your network? Just wondering if it’s need compromised at all, 7Mbps is not insignificant.

It’s pretty much stock, just the Aeon: Nox SiLVO skin and one or two other Aeon skins. The generic weather addons since yahoo no longer provides info.

Not accessible from outside at all - no port-forwards in place, either direct or via upnp. It reaches out to the media server via NFS but that’s about it. It has no write-access to the media server.

The day’s traffic looks like this

So 99% of the traffic is “Kodi” …

75G/day is nuts. Most movies are 15-20G so that’s watching 4x movies back to back.

Logs would probably tell you, as would DNS…

Are your sure OSMC and your NAS are in the same LAN/VLAN and this it true Internet traffic?
You can use iftop on OSMC to check where the traffic goes.
sudo apt install iftop

OK there must be something else going on … It’s showing 21Mb/s down

but iftop showing almost nothing

191Mb                     381Mb                      572Mb                     763Mb                 954Mb
└─────────────────────────┴─────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────┴─────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────
osmc                                                 => usden5-vip-bx-006.aaplimg.com                        6.19Kb  15.3Kb  13.7Kb
                                                     <=                                                      5.35Mb  10.1Mb  10.4Mb

Need to see cululative stats …

Why are you saying almost nothing?
it’s also showing 10Mb from what I can see

Something iTune related perhaps ?

ISP Apple Inc.
Usage Type Data Center/Web Hosting/Transit
Hostname(s) usden5-vip-bx-006.aaplimg.com
Domain Name apple.com
Country United States of America
City Denver, Colorado

Well, almost nothing in comparison to the 75G “downloaded” in less than a day :stuck_out_tongue:

I do have Airplay enabled for wife to use …

Interesting, nethogs shows pretty much kodi.bin doing all the download work

NetHogs version 0.8.5-2+b1

PID USER     PROGRAM                         DEV        SENT      RECEIVED
   2917 osmc     /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin          eth0        0.830     634.419 KB/sec
  20338 osmc     sshd: osmc@pts/0                eth0        0.399       0.193 KB/sec
      ? root     unknown TCP                                 0.000       0.000 KB/sec

TOTAL                                                      1.229     634.612 KB/sec

and iftop shows the bulk of the download coming from aaplimg.com

191Mb            381Mb            572Mb            763Mb       954Mb
└────────────────┴────────────────┴────────────────┴────────────────┴────────────────
osmc                         => usden5-vip-bx-006.aaplimg.c    208b   3.17Kb  4.82Kb
                             <=                                  0b   2.81Mb  4.68Mb
239.255.255.250              => _gateway                         0b      0b      0b
                             <=                                  0b   9.65Kb  2.41Kb
osmc                         => bos-lposbeb4.local            2.91Kb  4.04Kb  3.92Kb

Why would just enabling Airplay cause such a download rate ? Wife isn’t even here and she’s the only one with an iPhone/iPad.

Disabling Airplay for now, see if the download goes away …

10Mb constantly over the day would come up to 75GB downloaded

Heh, yeah, I just didn’t do the math all the way out.

Airplay disabled, but I still saw it pulling a ton from usden5-vip-bx-006.aaplimg.com. On and off, just a little trickle, then a ton, then a trickle.

Rebooted and the aaplimg.com connection seems to have gone away. Although I do see other connections I haven’t seen before …

Guessing some of these are scans at startup ? Although I do not have “scan library at startup” enabled.

Ah I spoke too soon, usden5-vip-bx-005.aaplimg.com is back … with the download rates.

Do you by chance have the Aerial screensaver installed? That pulls down Apple’s 4k screensaver videos, which can be a bandwidth hog if it’s not set to store locally.

4 Likes

Wow - good call. Yes I do have that one enabled.

I think we’re solved :slight_smile:

Thanks for the insight!