Low battery warnings comes too early

Last time I got low battery warning I went either 37 or 47 days before I actually had to swap it out. Remote remained fully functional till close to the bitter end. As of today, I’m 13 days getting that warning; waiting to see if I can break previous record

Depends on usage. It’s not a record to be beaten but a sign that you need to change the battery over.

A battery will last a long time with normal usage and 40 days really is the bottom of the tank. The idea is to advise users that a replacement is needed and give them plenty of time to do so.

Obviously unlike a car running it to empty won’t stir the bottom of the tank, so we could consider a way of suppressing the warning in the future. But the question is how to re-activate that warning when the user replaces the battery.

A user can do it themselves whenever they wish…

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- disables low battery warning on OSMC remotes -->
<keymap>
	<global>
		<keyboard>
			<f2>noop</f2>
		</keyboard>
	</global>
</keymap>

I even put this very thing as an example in the keymap guide…

https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/osmc-remote---long-press-keymap-guide/

Aware of that – but I’m thinking of a setting in Kodi.

The problem is that we introduced this nagging for a reason – because before we became a battery replacement service…

I suppose someone could do this to limit how often they see the warning…

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
	<global>
		<keyboard>
			<f2>noop</f2>
		</keyboard>
	</global>
	<home>
		<keyboard>
			<f2>Notification(OSMC Remote Controller, Low battery please replace,5000)</f2>
		</keyboard>
	</home>
</keymap>

Not a bad idea; maybe we should consider that.

Do you mean end-users requested or required you to replace batteries?

I read that a while back, but probably not the whole thing since I just noticed the low battery notice part.

Don’t feel bad. I am the one who wrote that guide and had forgotten I had put that in there until after I had retyped that keymap and written most of that post. :rofl:

Changing the keymap is going to help the annoyance factor if that warning is popping up sooner than it should. If the battery really is getting drained that fast though (remote starts missing keypresses’ or just stops working altogether including the warning) you might look to see if you have any devices using 2.4ghz radio signals particularly close to the receiver as that has been known to potentially cause the battery to drain much faster.

Users were sending back the remote as faulty and insisting they had changed the battery. They hadn’t… it was expensive to ship the remote back and forth just to replace a battery…

This is the first time I am reading about such a warning. During all the years of using OSMC remotes and having to replace the batteries multiple times after they were not responding to any inputs anymore, I have never seen this notification.

Is there a way to check for the setting or manually enable the notification?

The low battery notification has not been on all of the Vero remotes. The 2252:1037 and 2017:1688 remotes (this is a vendor and product id that shows in your logs) did not have this notice. The 2017:1689 and the current 2017:1690 remotes will send out a F2 key press when you push a button and the voltage in the remote is reading below a certain threshold. This key press was keymapped to a notification around three years ago on all OSMC systems, and for all other linux installs if Kodi sees an OSMC remote around two years ago IIRC.

That sucks. I wonder if that’s a common scam.

I don’t think so. Our customers aren’t scammers. I think a lot just didn’t believe their battery could’ve died / needed replacing and thought something must be wrong.