[HowTo] Luna - yet another moonlight configurator/launcher add-on

Again, I totally agree with working together towards a common goal is definitely a huge plus. Yet - as said before - this is only really true to a certain extent. There was almost no code base which I could have used to provide the features I did with Luna, so - again - I’d have ended up replacing nearly all of it, which I deemed kind of unfair, considering someone put work into it. Reading between the lines this also sounds so much like a ‘first to the market gotta be the one and only’ situation and this just doesn’t hold true.

To be really honest (and I’m going to explicitly exclude Toast from this, as his common controller pack is a totally different issue): When I started coding Luna, I did not know when or even if the features mentioned on Git were going to be implemented, as there wasn’t a lot going on in that repo. There has been zero indication of when one could expect those features. Somewhat turning the tables now: Luna has those features publicly available today - they may not be tested 100%, but neither will any other implementation be when it’s available for the first time. Yet I wanted to have those features as they make my life using moonlight so much easier, so I went ahead and ‘did my own thing’. It’s not like I built the exact(!) same thing from scratch but rather building something with a way enhanced feature set - which (imho, as was explained above) deserves to be something new. Concerning the mentioned productivity of working together: as of right now (and I can only judge by what’s publicly available), it might even proof to be more productive to make Luna’s features better than re-creating them (which - objectively and looking at the current facts - would be even worse than what you’re ‘blaming’ me for). If you’re willing to do so, I’ll appreciate any help. If not … well, by all means go ahead.

First and foremost I built Luna for myself - when I was done I thought ‘Why not share it for everyone to use and make it better, as this should be a solid base.’. The ability to plug in different launch scripts (multi-platform) is merely on of them, which I’d love to have to game on my Notebook (or possibly tablet).

Frankly … I don’t even really care if anyone uses Luna or not. As I’ve said, I’ve built this for myself. Anyone who is willing to make it better (and if it’s just by feature requests or bug reports) is welcome. If everyone goes with giving me heat for publicly providing something I’ve spent lots of time on … well, that’s fine for me as well.
However I will NOT publicly comment on anything regarding my decision anymore since I’ve said everything I got to say as of right now and this topic is bound to start a fight sooner or later. Additionally, this thread should be about an addon some people might like and others might not. If anyone wishes to discuss this any further (and / or a possible cooperation) please send me a PN. This really shouldn’t be the place to do so.

The above does by no ways mean that those two launchers will be split for all times - as far as I’m concerned at least. There might come a time where they’re similar enough (both regarding vision and code base) to provide a single solution, but as of right now, they’re just way too different.

Cheers!

(And yes, I’ve spent 1 hour on that answer to be as objective on the matter at hand as possible. If someone feels the need to hate me for what I’ve said here … go ahead and send me a PN, I’ll gladly answer.)

1 Like