MAC Spoofing

Hey, so… I built my OSMC Pi as a hotel media center. I mostly use it to watch local files from a flash drive, but I would love to be able to use the hotel’s WiFi to download weather and additional info on movies and such. The problem I have found is authenticating the Pi on the hotel’s WiFi without a browser. The best solution I have found is to spoof the WiFi MAC address on my phone to match the Raspberry Pi’s and then use my phone to authenticate with the hotel’s WiFi portal, but the ability to spoof a MAC address with a phone is spotty. I was thinking it would probably be a lot more reliable to spoof the MAC on the Pi to match my phone, but I haven’t found an easy way to do that without setting up an additional network and using SSH and all that. It would be AMAZING if it could be done through the OSMC settings.

Thanks for the consideration!

Hi,

Your try this, you will need access to the command line:

ip a

To determine your wifi interface, I expecting and assuming for the rest of this its wlan0

sudo ip link set dev wlan0 down
sudo ip link set dev wlan0 address 00:00:00:00:00:00
sudo ip link set dev wlan0 up

Change 00:00:00:00:00:00 to the mac address of your phone.

If you reissue ip a you should see the mac address (link/ether)

If that works:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local and add this before exit 0:

ip link set dev eth0 address 00:00:00:00:00:00

ctrl-x and yes to save and exit nano.

reboot the pi.

Again check the mac address with ip a. Should now be permanent, remove command from rc.local when no longer required.

Thanks Tom.

It might also be configurable via config.txt. I know that the MAC address is passed to /proc/cmdline by Pi firmware. @popcornmix would know more.

Hi Sam,

googled changing the mac address via config.txt, Only solutions I could find were for eth0. Although as you say popcornmix will be able to advise better.

Thanks Tom.