Matrix video playback issue

Hi, I’ve recently experienced some videos not playing properly on my RPi4, or rather having issues being displayed on screen. What I’m seeing is some videos have a green and purple tint, or simply put all colours on from the video are replaced by green and purple (or perhaps pink, magenta?). The UI and menus are fine, playback continues normally, it’s just as if it doesn’t know how to display the colours properly, which leads me to believe that it’s a software issue.

It’s happened for me several times with high-quality video files, usually from Apple TV+ shows. I can always reproduce the issue by playing from those same sources, so I rebooted and created a log with one such scenario. Here’s my log: https://paste.osmc.tv/akepevumas

I can play other high-res videos without any problem, 4k, surround sound, etc. I couldn’t see anything in the logs and in the video’s info that would suggest what the problem is.

The device I’m using is a RPi4, connected to a 4K LG TV via a Denon AVR, using audio passthrough.

This issue only happens in the Kodi 19 version of OSMC. I had no such issue on the Kodi 18 version. Is this some known issue? I would like to know what the root cause is, even if there is no fix, so I can stay away from such files and maybe track the development process for fixes addressing this issue.

Thanks!

The guys might find it easier to help you if you post MediaInfo for one of the files that plays badly.

Yeah, I know, but it’s not a local file, it’s being streamed, so I cannot use media info on it. Or can I?

My guess is you ar trying to play a Dolby Vision Profile 5 stream, which we don’t support.

1 Like

Thanks for that info, that’s what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity, is there a list of dolby vision profiles you do support somewhere, I couldn’t find one?

They don’t support Dolby Vision in any form.

1 Like

Once I checked out DV profiles, I have found in my log this line Stream #0:1(und): Video: hevc (Main 10) (dvhe / 0x65687664), yuv420p10le(tv), 3840x1920 [SAR 1:1 DAR 2:1], 24198 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 24k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default) which includes the dvhe tag which indicates a Dolby Vision file, so it appears that that was indeed the issue. Thanks!