Media flags are supported by OSMC?

I am trying to find out what media flags are supported by OSMC (with the standard skin).

Is there a list of the supported media flags and some information on exactly how the files should be named to be scanned/imported properly? I did not find the Kodi wiki very helpful. There is very little information there on media flags and naming (https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_flags#Video_flags). In the forum threads I only find references to this short Kodi wiki section and also that it is skin dependent.

AFAIK the Media Flags are not depending on the naming but will be set after the mediainfo is checked

The only media flag I know depending on the naming is the source. BluRay, DVD, WEB-DL etc…

My files have been named based on source, bluray and dvd.

The reason I am asking is that I have the impression that other flags also are possible with naming, such as for instance, truehd, atmos, dta ma, etc. I might have misunderstood that?

Some flags show up when the file has been played but playing all the files in the library to get the flags correct seemed like a non-ideal solution. I was thinking I could name the files in such a way that this was unnecessary. I am in the process of reorganizing my library. I have ordered a Vero 4K (not arrived yet) and hoped to have as much information/media info/metadata import automatically when the library is scanned for the first time.

Yes, you have. The info is stored/refreshed in the database when the file is scanned by the scraper, and every time a file is played. This means if you change the content of the file in some way without changing the name, the flags don’t update in views until you play the file again. You only have to play for a few seconds to have the info updated.

Playing/stopping can be automated with the web interface. In particular, the texture cache maintenance utility makes it easy to do this.

Media flags shown by the OSMC Skin are mostly relying on the media info provided by the media scraper (the behaviour @nabsltd has outlined is very accurate). There are four media flags which rely on naming:

• Atmos in this form: Atmos
  • DTS:X in these forms: DTS-X, DTSX
  • AURO-3D in these forms: AURO-3D, AURO3D
  • 3D video in these forms: H-SBS, HSBS, H-TAB, HTAB, H-HOU, H-OU, SBS, TAB, OU, 3D (the first nine provide additional detail in the media flags for the type of 3D content - half resolution and full resolution side-by-side, top-and-bottom/over-under, 3D is useful for MVC files)

These four have to be included in the file name (they’re not case sensitive) and they all have to be surrounded by any combination of these characters: . - _ Space is not allowed before or after those labels in your filenames and they shoudn’t be at the beginning of your filename.

The three audio tags will only be shown, if the first audio track of the video file is an appropriate base track for the 3D audio format in question (Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus for Atmos, DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD HRA for DTS:X, LPCM with 5.1 or 7.1 channels or DTS-HD MA for AURO-3D).

The 3D flag showing up can also rely on information provided by Kodi without the requirement of correct file naming, but this only works after first playback (it’s a limitation of how the information used is provided).

Here’s a full list of media flags that our skin provides (all feeding on information of the scraper, NOT filenames):

Audio:
AAC, Dolby Digital, AIFF, AIFC, Apple (ALAC), APE, AVC, Audio-CD, DTS, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Digital+, FLAC, MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, Opus, PCM, Dolby TrueHD, Vorbis, WAV, WAVP, WMA

Video:
3IV2, AVC-1, Blu-ray, DivX, DVD, FLV, H.264, HD-DVD, H.265, MPEG-4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, RV40, SVQ1, SVQ3, Theora, TV, VC-1, VHS, Webm, WMV, XviD

These all rely on the info labels available for skins under Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/InfoLabels

Our skin does not support any media flags based on folder or file names (see https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_flags, under 2.3), except the four above.
Media flags shown in video or music windows are only showing the first audio track’s information. Information about additional audio tracks can be found in the info dialog of each video file when pressing ‘Plot’ or if you’ve set the info dialog to show this information right away (see the advanced skin settings section).

Thank you for a very informative post! This was exactly the information I was looking for.

Actually, I can add: From the next update on the skin will show all audio and video codecs… The media flags won’t be limited to the ones above anymore (the ones above are the ones which have a proper formatting though, the rest will just be the capitalized raw Kodi codec output).

But the ones above are probably the only ones most users will ever see (maybe not even all of them).