Merry Christmas from OSMC - OSMC

oke. when is the particular reason to update from usb? i thought it was always an kodi update.

Updates don’t happen via USB. If you want to completely reinstall all of the software on the device, and reset everything to its default state, then you can use a USB stick or an SD card to do that.

If for some reason you decide not to do any updates for a year or two, then sometimes the version of the software you are running becomes so out-of-date that it can no longer be updated to the latest version. If that happens, then you may need to reinstall from scratch. But so long as you keep installing updates regularly you should never need to do that (or not to do an update, anyway). And each new update is available over the internet.

then why are there 3 various versions in 2022 for usb update? (march, september, october) . i think it’s going deeper then you’re message.

On occasion an update will be problematic for someone be it a bug or incompatibility with something their running in which case being able to go back to a specific previous version is advantageous.

Because every major update is also provide as a USB install in case someone want to do a clean install of that version or has a new device.

Every time we release an update, we make it available via all compatible installation media for that device.

Updates are delivered automatically over the air, but if you want to install a specific version, you’re always able to do so.

I’ll release an update on Sunday, and that will be the latest version. Some people like the option to install older versions and it’s an excellent way to work out problems and rule out a new version of OSMC introducing a problem. We can ask users if they experience a problem with an older version and if they don’t, then we can confirm that we have something to fix.

But rest assured, if you keep your system up to date regularly, you can get all of your updates over WiFi or Ethernet.

There’s more information at: Keeping your OSMC system up to date - General - OSMC.

Cheers

Sam

Sam, did you mean by this that there might be a Kodi v20.0 test thread, with an official release based on v20.1 to follow, or did you mean that the test thread itself won’t start until after v20.1?

v20 in a test thread first, then v20.1 for stable release

1 Like