Metadata and tv shows!

The match was not because you added a year to the season folder as Kodi does not read anything from those subfolder names other than maybe the season number if it didn’t pick it up from the file name. What you did was to effectively add new files to that file path (because you changed the absolute path and that is what is stored in the database) and that caused those files to be scanned again. If I was to venture a guess on what happened it would be that the scraping information for that show was initially wrong, you managed to refresh it, but when you did you had not re-scraped the contents of the folder yet. This is a common issue when someone changes their scraper but does not update their TV shows at the same time. Unlike movies the database stores information about a TV show that is attached to a file path, and when it scrapes video files in the file path it only uses that to get info for episodes. If you have a borked movie you can refresh the movie and fix that. If you try to refresh just an episode and the issue is the show info is wrong, then nothing happens. You actually need to bring up the information window for the show itself and click refresh to fix that. It will give you the option to rescan all episodes as well which you should do if it had not been scanning correctly. If you have a lot of shows to fix it might be more efficient to just go to videos>files> context menu over your TV show source, select “change content”, set the media type to none, click OK, and tell it no when it asks if you want to remove the items from your library. Context menu over that souce again, select “set content”, and setup your file type and scraper settings again, then click OK. It will ask if you want to update and you will tell it yes. This will effectively do the same thing as refresh in the info screen but for everything in that source in one go.

Try another skin, or different view in the skin you’re using. Navigation tends to vary quite a bit, as does the look and feel, and what works well for one often doesn’t for another. Without even knowing what skin your using now it is hard to say more. If your using the OSMC remote you can find so additional information on controls [herer]

Which guides are you referring to, in the Kodi wiki? I’m not sure what to say about that. I have done quite a bit of reading there and I find them to be generally quite concise. Some articles can get long but that is only because Kodi is quite flexible and with some topics they are needing to cover a lot of different use cases. With those kind of topics one normally skips over the information they are not interested in similar to a reference guide.

With good file and folder naming practices this should be an extremely rare thing but if the normal scraping picked up an incorrect match on a movie often times you can bring up the information window, click refresh, and it will then present you will a list of possible matches.