Migrating Kodi 14 from Pivos to OSMC on Vero 4K+

Hi,

On the vero could you please issue:

grab-logs -A

and post the provided URL here.

Thanks Tom.

If it’s to the Vero 4K +, then it’s not a network issue (physically).
RX is not impacted in any of the 12 affected units.

SFTP is, very, very slow however by its nature. I suggest you install the FTP server and use that instead.

Sam

Just to clarify: where are we transferring things (sender and destination); and on to what medium?

Sam

You do not need to specify a port when running iperf3. I think that’s your issue.

Hi Tom. Seems Sam, below, doubts it’s a network issue (will comment on that below). But still would be curious how to get iperf3 running to test. Here’s an edited down version of the log. FWIW I believe there’s a lot in these logs that are too invasive and potentially a security risk (I used to have cleartext passwords in kodi logs for some share access, no longer, but…), it would be better to ask for the relevant portions IMO.

Hi,

It doesn’t appear to be a network issue on the vero side being as there are no TX drops (RX for matter) from the log provided.

It shouldn’t make any difference but you could try disconnecting from the wifi and try iperf again. If not you please provide the ifconfig from the mac?

Thanks Tom.

Unfortunately it can be hard for users to know what portions are relevant.
We strip out sensitive data where we can. Unless you publish a link to the log, no one can see it either.

Your Wired Network looks fine.

Simple way to test is turn off WiFi. If things play smoothly, you should be fine. While most playback is RX based, TCP requires ACKs (TX side); so if you had a physical network problem you’d soon notice.

SFTP’s not the fastest way to transfer files; and from above it seems you’re transferring to an SD card. That could be a limiting factor as well.

Cheers

Sam

I’ve no idea what this means. But yes, the original problem was it took a good 8 hours to copy 3GB to the Vero via SFTP on what’s supposed to be a 1g/bit ethernet connection. (If I had known how to copy from an SDCard that would have helped. Still unsure how to do it since the Vero is headless, no keyboard, etc. Other than copying userdata from /media/disk/ to ~/.kodi/ via SFTP client on Mac (Transmit). Would that be the best way to do it? Cuz I’d now like to go Vero->Mac for a full local backup.)

How to do that? Not in the Wiki. :slight_smile: Also via apt-get?
edit: apparently yes. But how to get the ftp server running then, and how to do so at boot (as SFTP)? Also how to set password?:
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/netkit-ftp to provide /usr/bin/ftp (ftp) in auto mode

No I was transferring to the root of the Vero, to ~/.kodi/ … Was interested in using SDCard to transfer but not sure how (as above).

I tried both with and without, as shown. Still interested in running iperf3.

Not sure how to do that either, without going thru original boot sequence. But at any rate, why should that matter? The ethernet & wifi have different LAP IPs, and I’m trying to test the ethernet IP.

Kodi logs can have tons of sensitive data. Can’t see how it could be auto-stripped. :slight_smile:

You can disconnect from the wifi via myosmc. It shouldn’t be preventing the connection, just something worth checking.

Thanks Tom.

FTP server can be installed from My OSMC → App Store. Don’t do it via apt-get. We have a preconfigured FTP server in the App Store. Setting up one manually may be complex. Uninstall any FTP packages you might have installed as they will cause conflicts as both will try bind to port 21.

I don’t believe you have a network issue.

Use an FTP client like Cyberduck; copy the directory over to Mac via the UI.

Check the IP addresses. One needs to run -s and one needs to run -c.

We get rid of passwords etc; not much else is of interest.

Sam

First can you confirm if you use wireless or wired on the Vero4K (this might have been a misunderstanding on my side).
As I see in the logs Sep 26 17:22:22 Vero connmand[363]: wlan0 {add} address 192.168.0.233/24 label wlan0 family 2

So if you use wireless then the IP is 192.168.0.233 and the command on the MAC should be iperf3 -c 192.168.0.233

Using both. But 192.168.0.234 is wired/ethernet, which is what I’m trying to test.

Ok, maybe disable wireless for the testing purpose.
Also try first with ping the connectivity and also recheck IP’s.
Generally this should work without using ports defined.

OK, did that after uninstalling via-apt get. Connects from Mac, but authentication refused. used default osmc/osmc password. how would you change the password anyway? does it need other config?

btw: you’re quite a night owl. :slight_smile:

Can you post a log so I can check FTP installed cleanly without any conflicts?

Cheers

Sam

Sure, but sorry, what log? And if you don’t mind, what portion do you want? (edit: if you’re talking about Kodi logs, neither current or .old has anything about FTP install. have rebooted several times for different reasons.)

APT history log will help us see the packages have been removed properly.
Uploading all logs except Kodi log should be fine (if concerned about data there).

Sam

https://paste.osmc.tv/ususuweziy

Looks OK.

VSFTPD password would be osmc unless you changed the osmc password.
Can you try rebooting and seeing if that helps?

If not – I’ll try and reproduce on a fresh install.

Cheers,

Sam

Wireless disabled in myOMSC. Results similar as before. Neither Vero (.234) or Mac (.202) as client could connect to other as server with iperf3. This time no ports specified. With Mac as client, error is immediately “host is down” (ie Vero server not responding). With Vero as client, Mac also doesn’t respond, but no “host is down” error is output, so process must be terminated. Pinging Mac from Vero is fine (0% packet loss). Pinging Vero from Mac: 25% to 38% packet loss! (Same results 2 times in latest test).

Details:

MacPro:/ myuser$ iperf3 -s
-----------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on 5201
-----------------------------------------------------------
^Ciperf3: interrupt - the server has terminated
MacPro:/ myuser$ iperf3 -c 192.168.0.234
iperf3: error - unable to connect to server: Host is down
MacPro:/ myuser$ ping 192.168.0.234
PING 192.168.0.234 (192.168.0.234): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.0.234: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.741 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.234: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.653 ms