More modern / testing version?

Is there a re more modern build of OSMC I can try? Ideally with a Linux 6.* kernel?

I do appreciate the stability angle of locking the users out of doing firmware upgrades outside of the official builds but OSMC is also the only boot-to-Kodi OS with a fuller Linux base system compared to LibreELEC’s (LE) BusyBox base. I’d like to have that base for a few things that LE cannot do, or might require Docker to do.

Reason is I’m after a system that can support either of the Raspberry Pi’s HDMI ports, including CEC. Please don’t ask why, you really don’t want to know. Although I think it’s reasonable to want the hardware I paid for to do what it was reasonably expected to do when purchased … or 4+ years down the track. Which, in fairness to the RasFo, when various systems catch up, or if I can access a more ‘bleeding edge’ (if that is what people insist on calling it) system now, it can do.

Ran Raspberry Pi OS - Lite, 64 bit version - did a simple sudo apt install kodi and, low and behold, everything’s finally working on both HDMI ports. Kodi has two CEC Adapters in the Settings, System, Input section. Running Kodi from just the HDMI1 port works fine under that OS scenario. Would be great if there was an OSMC version that could do the same. If not, fair enough.

Not at the moment. Generally there are two versions. The current stable and the testing branch.

You can move to testing branch with the following steps, but be aware there are releases in that branch that might from time to time break and would require a full reinstall.

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

6.x is the next planned target kernel.

1 Like

which improvements will be introduced with new kernel?

You can learn that from the kernel release notes.