Mounting NAS NFS Share

Hey guys, I hope you’re all safe and happy!
I’d be super grateful for any assistance with this.

Recently I replaced my older 2-bay NAS that was originally connected to the Vero 4K via a SMB share, with a 4-bay QNAP NAS.

Following a WiKi guide I decided to connect using NFS instead of SMB.
I have absolutely no idea what i’ve done, but I’m going nowhere. I’ve reset the box three times and spent an entire day going in circles and am just stuck now. ahah The fstab file looks like:

# rootfs is not mounted in fstab as we do it via initramfs. Uncomment for remount (slower boot)
192.168.1.9:/Movies/!@MOVIES/Movies /mnt/8157114\040Movies        nfs     noauto,x-systemd.automount  0  0

My logs are also: https://paste.osmc.tv/virapapife
The share permissions are completely open and unlocked with full guest access enabled. The NFS “Squash option” is also set to “ROOT_SQUASH” I had also tried “ALL_SQUASH” as well but that didn’t work.

Heads up; Sorry if I’m missing anything obvious, super new to working via SSH & NFS in general.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!! :smile:

The easiest test is, log into the Vero with ssh and run showmount -e 192.168.1.9 and post the output.

Nov 09 15:02:47 osmc mount[1235]: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.9:/Movies/!@MOVIES/Movies

What do you see if you try:

showmount -e 192.168.1.9

Hey guys,
Thanks for the Super fast response!! The below was what was returned:

osmc@osmc:~$ showmount -e 192.168.1.9
Export list for 192.168.1.9:
/rn31200sub
/homes
/all-logs
/Web
/USBDisk2
/Things to Print
/Public
/OSMC
/Multimedia
/Movies
/Family Photos
/Download
/Racecourse Development
osmc@osmc:~$

I also forgot to mention that I was mapping to a sub folder, if that could be the cause…

My guess would be it’s the !@MOVIES causing the problem. Can you try just mounting Movies, not the sub folder and see if that works? I’ll experiment here with that directory name and see what happens.

AFAIK with NFSv3 you can not mount sub directories unless server create virtual share
So change fstab to
192.168.1.9:/Movies /mnt/Movies

sooo wow ahah that seemed redusically obvious :sweat_smile:
So interesting thing I was able to map the share by removing the sub directory, however when trying to access and add the mapped drive as a media source via OSMCs’ interface, strangely I’m unable to get past “Movies” into any of the sub folders and am unable to add the “Movies” as a source…if that makes sense

So what does ls -lah /mnt/Movies/ gives you?

It’s the special characters causing the problem. Try this in your fstab:

192.168.1.9:/Movies/\041\100MOVIES/Movies /mnt/8157114\040Movies        nfs     noauto,x-systemd.automount  0  0

That worked for me.

The below was returned, (I’ve blacked out a few folder names)

On a side note: I’ve placed all the movies & TV shows in that one share. Would I be better off creating a new share and separate them or it really doesn’t matter too much?
Thanks for all your help btw you two! :slight_smile:

As long as the Movies and TV Shows are in different directories, you can add them as separate sources, so that should be OK. You can’t mix movies and TV in the same Kodi source.

So you don’t see the same in GUI Add Videos → Root folder → mnt → 8157114 Movies`?

ah soo
Going to:
Library > Manage Sources > Videos > Browse > Files > Root > mnt > 8157114 Movies = although it shows the entry now, well it’s completely blank with no sub folders

If I also try to add just “8157114 Movies” as the source and scan, the directory also comes up blank…

ahh I see
cool thanks :slight_smile:

Did you try the fstab entry that I suggested above?

Ok, only thing I can recommend is do all of this without using special characters or spaces in the folder names as that only complicates troubleshooting.
Maybe first try the suggested approach from @bmillham if that doesn’t lead to success go all special character and space free.

Sorry I had totally forgotten to reply :sweat_smile:

ok so I have gotten rid of the !@ in folder name on the server and updated the code.

When trying to mount a subfolder the code at the bottom of this post is returned.

Removed all the characters and mounted only the Main share “Movies” It shows up as an entry in " > Videos > Files" as well as "> Root > mnt > "
I just can’t go past the main NAS share “Movies” into any of the sub folders. :confused: even if I add just the entry “8157114 Movies” and then scan into the library, nothing…

Ok one by one.
First do you see your respective Subfolder for your Movies and TV Shows? If that is the case than the baseline is working as the “Add Videos” dialog will oly show Folder and not Videos.
Second have you set on the later screen the Content Type respectivley? Default is none which will not scrape the content.
Third are you files and folders named so that the scraper can find them?

If you first just try to add them with none you then can check them via Videos > Files

Sorry for the radio silence!

So after adding the share “Movies” I could indeed see all the sub folders, so that’s good at least haha > After choosing one of these sub folders and selecting the content type as either “Movies, TV-Shows or Music” where applicable > Scanning into the library. OSMC/Kodi would scan the directory for about 30sec then stop with nothing scanned/added.

Navigating to the mount point via “file manager” or “videos > files” nether would allow me to go past the first sub folder. eg mnt: “8157114 Movies > Movies” would go no further.
I had also tried creating a mnt and naming it just “test” and I know it can’t be a permission issue as the NASs’ logs are showing a useful connection and read navigation into the folders. Total mystery to me,

In any case, it’s all far beyond me and I’ve decided to just use SMB and I’m happy to report it’s working perfectly. :blush:

So it’ll have to remain a mystery.
Thank you both for all your time and help though & stay safe!

2 Likes