Mounting Network Drive

So I have a hard drive attached to my router and I want to mount it to my raspberry pi 3+. I’m able to set it as a shared drive and view all the files there, but I want to be able to use it as a plex server as the plex client is much better than the stock video file viewer.

The shared drive is shared through smb://TM-AC1900/Memory_Alpha. I’m not sure if I’m able to use that as part of the fstab file, or what ip address I’m even supposed to use. In addition, if someone could help me configure the entire fstab file, that would be greatly appreciated as my coding skills are greatly limited.

Thanks in advance!

HI,

The IP address you need to use is your routers ip address.

I’m guessing your router is a T-mobile AC1900, is this correct?

If so its a locked down asus router, does it have section called something like: “USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk”? Have you enabled guest login and what is “Samba protocol version” set to?

Thanks Tom.

Guest login is enabled. I’m not able to see the version of samba on the router page, but I use version 1.0 on windows

Hi,

A first good step would be find out what the router is calling the share, could you please issue the following from the commandline:

sudo apt-get install smbclient

and provide the output of the following:

smbclient -L ip.of.your.router -U guest%

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

I would try the following:

sudo mkdir /mnt/Memory_Alpha

and the following /etc/fstab entry:

//192.168.29.1/Memory_Alpha cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,guest,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0 0 0

sudo mount /mnt/Memory_Alpha should work with no issue.

Thanks Tom.

It worked perfectly, thank you so much!

1 Like

Hello all,
I posted earlier under Mounting Network Drive

Since then I have reset my os and am starting from scratch. However, the commands in the link above no longer work. The name has changed from Memory_Alpha to Memory_Beta as the first name changed to have a (1) at the end and through troubleshooting decided to just change the name. Any help in getting this to work again would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

Please post your current fstab, which you are having issues with.

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

Please post the output of the following:

smbclient -L 192.168.29.1 -U guest%

If you are stating from scratch you may need to reinstall smbclient:

sudo apt-get install smbclient

Thanks Tom.

HI,

I believe the below should work:

//192.168.29.1/Memory_Beta cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,guest,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0 0 0

Thanks Tom.

I then get this error

Hi,

Please issue the following on your pi:

cat /etc/fstab | paste-log

and post the given link here.

Thanks Tom,.

https://paste.osmc.tv/qedayopoci

Hi,

Apologies the fstab entry should have been:

//192.168.29.1/Memory_Beta /mnt/Memory_Beta cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,guest,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0 0 0

assuming you have created the directory with:

sudo mkdir /mnt/Memory_Beta

regards Tom

When I do that, I get the following error:
Couldn’t chdir to /mnt/Memory_Beta: No such device

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, been a long day, please try:

//192.168.29.1/Memory_Beta /mnt/Memory_Beta cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,domain=GET_BURGERED,iocharset=utf8,guest,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0 0 0

If that doesn’t work, please double check the samba server still supports smbv1.

Thanks Tom.

Hello,
Sorry for the delay, school has just been super busy. When I changed the domain to what was put, I now get
mount error(16): domain or resource busy

Any ideas on how to fix that?