Mounting USB drives via UUID in cmdline.txt on rbp1

Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi 1 with the latest OSMC build (2016.10-1). I have two external USB drives that I’d like to use. I would like the filesystem on the first one, and extra storage on the 2nd one. I use an SD card for booting.

I have already formatted one of the USB drives, and copied over the filesystem. I can use it as my raspberry’s filesystem if I have root=/dev/sda1 in /boot/cmdline.txt However, I cannot use the UUID in gdisk (or PARTUUID from blkid output) in place of /dev/sda1. I also edited /etc/fstab and put the partition UUID info there. After I reboot, the boot process aborts and dumps me to a terminal screen with a rescue shell prompt. I have ensured that I am using a GPT partition table.

I saw some threads on here about that being an issue last November and it was fixed in the next monthly update, but I am not sure that it was ever working for the rbp1 (and anyway it is clearly not working for me). I read something about PARTUID being deprecated and that UUID is the way to go, but that it needs an initrd. There were links to pre-built images, but those links were broken, and my own attempts to build a custom ramdisk image using the latest git script failed.

What can I do to get multiple USB disks working on my RBP1?

Thanks.

OSMC use an initrd since November 2015.

Thus, UUID is supported, but PARTUUID is now deprecated

When you get put to the rescue shell prompt, use ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid to verify your UUID is correct.

Also use rootwait in cmdline.txt, or your disk may not spin up in time.

Sam,

Using the UUID in /dev/disk/by-uuid/ did the trick. I already had rootwait. Thank you!

My mistake was that I was using gdisk interactively e.g., gdisk /dev/sda

then I pressed i to get the disk info, but it gave me just that - the disk UUID, not the partition UUID. I followed those steps from a thread somewhere…who knows, but now I am good, hurrah! Back to OSMC config.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for a truly AWESOME distro - I have it on 4-5 Raspberry Pis at home (versions 1, 2 and 3) and one Raspberry at work.

Cool – glad it’s all sorted.

Thanks for reporting back. I’m sure this will help some other users.

One day, we’ll use UUID in the installer.

Sam