Movie Set Contents Update for art work

Using latest OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 4 and OSMC default skin. Everything working well and doing what it should. But…
I set my Movies up into sets to reflect the genres I want. I then chose a typical poster and fan art from the remote list and use that for the art work of the set. For the ‘Horror’ set E.G. The Poster from Woman in Black and the background from The Witch. The problem I have is when I first started setting up the Sets the remote art would shown art from the 4, 6, 7 movies I had in the set at that point, but that list has not updated. I have 47 movies in a set but only 5 of them are listed in the remote art. This is true of all sets not just one. One set has no remote artwork listed even though there are 20+ movies in it. How do I update the remote art facility to recognize all the movies in a particular set? I have updated library a few times and done a full reboot for no change.

(PS i use WIMM Movies, unmaintained now but a brilliant program for organizing your media if someone with the ability wants to jump in and maintain it)

Are you talking about what Kodi calls movie sets or are you using this phrase to refer to some kind of widget or something you setup using tags? If you are talking about Kodi’s movie sets and your trying to get Kodi to automatically update the movie set art or plot when you update nfo’s and content in the movie set information folder then unfortunately Kodi currently lacks the ability to do this. When you scrape the first movie in using a new movie set name then the set gets created with whatever information is available at that time, local or online. If you want to change it without removing the movie set then you have to context menu and manually change it from within Kodi. The only way to automatically pull again from local files is to remove the movie set and all of its movies from the library and let them scrape back in. The only quick(ish) way I’ve found to do this is to use an actual keyboard (or a remote with delete keymapped) and in the movie set view click delete which will give you the prompts for removing the set and all the items within it in one fell swoop. Unfortunately the delete option in the context menu only removes the set itself. The problem with this is that the tags for each of the movies are also removed and so you have to then find and refresh info for each movie in the set to get them put back into the now updated movie set.

If your only talking about when you browse for art it does not show local then make sure you have setup where your movie set information folder is in settings>media>videos and that it was created such that it has subfolders that match exactly the name of the set. The current version of Kodi deals with local files a bit different than previous versions so if the WIMM program was not updated enough to update to current standards you may look info using Tiny Media Manager. The older (still free) version of TMM has been working fine for me for this task so far.

I am talking about actual movie sets, that you would see in the ‘Movies’ menu. I think your first paragraph answers the question. I started putting the movies into sets but did and update at the beginning so any updates since did not scrape the rest of the movies as I though it would. A bot of a bummer but I am not redoing the movie sets, the first time took me two days. WIMM does need an update but still works fine. Thanks for the input.

If at some point you wanted to give it a go I don’t think you would actually need to start from scratch. I believe that if you exported the library from Kodi it would create the movie set information files and folders from what you already have. In a similar vein I believe TMM has the option to have it read your existing nfo files which would allow it to convert them to the current standard. Currently movie sets don’t need to be redone just to add a movie. When you add a movie to a set in TMM it adds that to to nfo and when Kodi scrapes it then it is added automatically to an existing movie set. What I was talking about was automatically picking up the plot and artwork for the set, not it picking up new movies that are suppose to be there.

Then again, this seems like a bit of an odd way to get personalized categories. Wouldn’t it be better to just add tags for this and then either make custom widgets or playlists based around those?

I would have thought that an update KODI’s library would also update the movies within each set, regardless of how many or how / when the set got there. It seems to be a fundamental process which is missing or broken. From what you say it seems I would have to add tags for each movie anyway, within KODI which is a lot more cumbersome than using an external program. Also I have used TMM and am not a fan. It is certainly not a program I would be prepared to pay an annual fee to fully use.

But again, thanks for your input.

Kodi does add new movies to existing movie sets as long as the nfo has the proper tags; ie…

<set>
    <name>The Matrix Collection</name>
    <overview>The Matrix collection depicts a complex science fiction story incorporating many philosophical elements. Written and directed by the Wachowskis and produced by Joel Silver.</overview>
  </set>

Does you program create these tags? Older versions of Kodi did not have this ability and could only get movie set information from online scraping. As such older media managers may lack the ability to create proper files.

Additionally if you edit local scraping info on items that already exist in Kodi’s library then they will only get updated in Kodi if you refresh from the full screen information window or if you remove the items from the library and rescrape. Kodi’s library update only scrapes new items and has no facility to refresh based on local metadata file date.

As for the tags this is how it is intended you browse by genre and it is more flexible than using movie sets for this as you can have content show up in more than one list and you can use them to generate smart playlists.

As for TMM if you don’t like it that is fair enough. The choices for actively developed full featured media managers was a bit slim last I looked though. As previously stated you can still download and use the previous version for free from their site.