Movies buffering forever

It happened just suddenly. Maybe it’s related to the fact that my /.kodi/temp folder is 11,46 GB? Some files will still play but Blu-Ray remuxes won’t start. What should I do?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Why is it that big? Failed backup?

No idea. But actually it’s .kodi folder. I managed to delete temp but used space is still 11,46 GB.

By this you mean you misspoke about the temp folder being eleven gigs and it was the entire .kodi folder that was that size? If so, the most likely place that space is getting taken up is the Thumbnails folder. Old artwork can get abandoned there over time. You can just delete the folder and restart Kodi and it should recache the artwork over again.

I reproduced the problem with small home video. It buffered 2 minutes and didn’t start.
log link

I’m guessing that is because it is having trouble with it being a mjpeg, not a buffering issue. I’m not sure if that is even a supported format. Do you have issues when playing more common encodes?

I just grabbed a random sample off the internet and on my Vero V I can play mjpeg only if I disable hardware decoding. You can try the same (settings>player>videos>) if you don’t want to just transcode them to a more common format.

This home video is 11 years old and it’s format may sure be obsolete. But I had troubles with Blu-Ray remuxes in MKV container, too. For those old home videos I might try disabling hardware decoding.

I believe that mjpeg was something used with some consumer cameras for hardware limitation reasons but it wasn’t ever considered any kind of common playback format. You can use a transcoding program (Handbrake is a good free option) to convert these files to something more widely supported such as AVC/H.264 or HEVC/H.265.

If you have issues with BD remuxes then this is most likely unrelated and to provide any assistance with that you would need to supply logs with problematic playback of one of these just like you did with the mjpeg file.

Maybe deleting Thumbnails was a good idea because now there is no troubles anymore. But I might do clean install as well. After so many years it might do good.

1 Like

The home video should play as expected now.