MPEG Artefacts on some re-encodes

I usually re-encode my BR movies with Handbrake in HEVC (crf 21). TV-shows I quickly re-encode with ffmpeg on my NAS (quick ffmpeg -cv:libx265 -crf 23) to HEVC.
I’ve noticed that encodes with Handbrake play fine on my Vero4K but the encodes with ffmpeg show serious MPEG artefacts (blocks, shading etc…). They do play fine on my laptop with VLC.

Both sources are 1080p non-HDR. I do notice the ffmpeg encode file says 12 bit colour depth, could that be the cause (and if so who does it play OK with VLC)?

OSMC: Latest Leia build
ffmpeg version 4.1.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2019 the FFmpeg developers built with FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based on LLVM 6.0.1)

Mediainfo good: Debian paste error
Mediainfo bad: Debian paste error

Any advise what might be causing this?

12-bits is your problem
VLC is either using SW acceleration or you have an NVIDIA GPU (at a guess).

Sam

So basicly I need to re-encode everything I’ve done that way the last couple of months? :frowning:
Been bulk re-encoding stuff…

May I ask why you are doing it ?

Just to save a bit of space or ?

I recommend using something like Handbrake which has some safe default profiles.

I’ve never seen HEVC 12-bit content myself; and would suspect that this is the issue.

Sam

For movies that is what I am using. I can take some time selecting the correct settings for movies depending on the source (old/new movie, grainy etc…)
For TV-shows I don’t really care so I use a quick and simple ffmpeg script to bulk transcode them. Didn’t tweak any settings apart from CRF so my thought was it would make something generally compatible with anything. I know I can run handbrake from CLI but it’s not as easy as ffmpeg. Might have to invest in creating some general HB-profile.

Yes. With the profiles I have in HB I can encode my BR in HEVC at higher quality than H264 and still gain some more free diskspace. As a general rule I started doing this for everything so also TV-shows but as these are more bulk I did not invest in profiles and just took the ffmpeg default. Looks like that was a mistake…

My one thought here is to think about whether re-encoding is really the way to go. For region 1 DVDs it makes sense anyway as you can eliminate the 3:2 pulldown judder and get 24p. But if it’s a space issue and funds can stretch to a low-spec NAS with a few bays, that may be a better long-term approach. For direct streaming over a home network, the NAS does not need much horsepower at all. I once spent a few months playing with Handbrake and found it good for some things, but ultimatley I prefer to retain the original rips for both archive and direct playback and now I only use Handbrake for niche cases.

Well that’s your view. I have a huge DVD and BR collection for both movies and TV-shows that I started collecting for the last 20 years. Putting them all as ISO or even the original h264 will not cut so I have to re-encode.
9 years ago I started encoding all my movies, first h264 and since half a year I’ve switched to HEVC, first for new movies and since a couple of months for my new TV-shows.

I have a big NAS and not planning on adding another on…

Just trying to be helpful. Not interested in bragging rights on library size. Thanks for the inadvertent laugh by telling us all that yours is huge. Dear oh dear.

Thanks for the advise but advise without knowing the exact situation of people can lead to bad or useless advise.

I’m a collector and can’t pass a movie-store without fumbling through their collection. At first I tried it ‘your way’ as I wanted the best possible quality. I soon ran into space problems so I had to encode. In the meantime I’ve upgraded my disks twice and added more… I still have ample of space available but as I see my huge collection :rofl: getting bigger I am thinking with future in mind; don’t want to be changing/adding disks every year.
I’m pretty sure there are people here with bigger collections but I try to keep a balance between quality, size and price. This solution works well for me.