MPEG fails to play

I’ve got an MPG that plays fine in VLC but not in Kodi (tried Kodi on Vero 4K+ & Mac). Something’s clearly corrupted about this file. MediaInfo doesn’t show any media info at all. VLC shows “MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)”. Kodi logs show:

ERROR: Open - error probing input format, /Volumes/<pathto>/file.mpg
ERROR: OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer

Here’s the file, in case anyone can check. (Old Chinese cultural revolution propaganda film)

That file is pretty screwed up but if you use VLC and select from the top menu media>convert/save and then click “add” point to that file, click “convert” at the bottom of the dialog, on the next screen pick an output format and destination and click start that should give you a working file.

I tried running it though mkvtoolnix and handbrake and neither was able to correctly open that file. Converting it to h.264 w/mp3 audio via VLC seemed to work for the most part but their still seems to be a mismatch in the lengths of the audio and video.

Thanks. My results are varying here. As you know the original that plays fine in VLC is 1GB with a “47:??” (false) duration (the time skips around during play). However it plays through from start to finish.

Using mp4/mov /h.264/mp3 audio produced a 355MB file with a 1:29:21 “duration” that plays up to around the 53 min mark and then locks up VLC. Scrubbing doesn’t work really.

Using mkv/h264/original audio produced 437MB file with 222:03:58 duration that doesn’t play at all, though the audio plays.

I’m prepared to give up, but I’m curius as to why VLC can play the original file ok for the most part, but it can’t be “fixed” properly.

I don’t know what to tell you. I just ran it one way, one time and it spit out a 230,464KB mp4 that displays as being 53:57 long and plays just fine up to when it fades to black at 53:30 and the audio keeps going for another 40 seconds give or take. Windows 10 and VLC current release builds.

I did a second check with OSMC and did find that it paused the video when the video track stopped so it appeared as though it locked up since the picture had already faded to black. I ran it through mkvtoolnix and that changed the time stamp to 55:30 long and it Kodi then stopped playing the video and returned to the GUI at the end as it should.

Thank you very much for your help.